Determining School Assignment
Information on school assignment for a specific address can be obtained by accessing the School Locator, calling the Student Assignment Office at 336-370-8303, or contacting a nearby school.
Enrolling Students (Routine)
After determining school assignment, the parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian should present the following items directly to the school regardless of grade level of student (the same information is needed for enrollment of new kindergarten students):
- A certified copy of the child's birth certificate
- Immunization record
- A copy of the most recent report card or school transcript (if available)
- North Carolina General Statutes require that an Affidavit of Student in Good Standing be completed by the parent or court appointed guardian/custodian for any new student transferring to Guilford County Schools from another school outside our district. This does not pertain to students who are transferring within Guilford County Schools or for students who have never been enrolled in a public or private school (for instance first time kindergarten students or students that have always attended home school).
* Please click here for the Spanish translation of the Affidavit of Student in Good Standing.
- Proof of address to verify the domicile of the parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian in ONE of the following forms:
1. Current, original gas, oil, water or electric bill in the name of the parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian. (Telephone and cable television bills are not acceptable.)
2. Official lease agreement in the name of the parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian.
3. Driver's license (or State ID card from Department of Motor Vehicles) and voter registration card (obtain from the Board of Elections Office - not the Department of Motor Vehicles. DMV will not provide documentation of voter registration). These items must be in the name of the parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian.
4. Driver's license (or State ID card) and car registration in the name of the parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian.
5. Driver's license (or State ID card) and letter from employer verifying address of the parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian. Letter from employer must be on company letterhead.
6. Driver's license (or State ID card) or voter registration card and Medicaid card in the name of the parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian.
Proceso De Admisiones
Enrolling Students (Non-routine)
In the following instances, persons wishing to enroll students in Guilford County Schools should contact the Student Assignment Office for instructions:
- Student lives with individual other than parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/ custodian
- Student lives with one parent but wishes to attend school in the attendance zone of the other parent
- Parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian lives outside Guilford County and wishes student to attend Guilford County Schools
- Parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian is homeless or unable to obtain appropriate proof of address
- Student is at least 18 years of age and is financially independent
Kindergarten registration is held in the spring each year. For the 2011-12 school year, students who will be five years of age on or before August 31 may register in the elementary school designated by the domicile address of the parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian.