Students wishing to request a transfer to a different school for may do so by completing and sending to the Student Assignment Office the 2013-2014 Request for Reassignment Form. The form is available beginning April 1 from the Student Assignment Office. Notifications will begin in May. For reassignment requests received before July 1, notification regarding approval or denial will be mailed within 10 working days following receipt in the Student Assignment Office.
If the request is for child care/day care for a student in grades K-8, the Child Care Supervision Form and the Employer Verification Form must also be completed and returned along with the Request for Reassignment Form.
- Requests for transfers are reviewed and appropriate decisions made based on reason(s) for request and space availability in requested school.
- Requests for Reassignment should be made between May 1 and July 1.
- No more than one reassignment request per student will be granted each year.
- Approved reassignment requests are for one year only; subsequent transfers must be requested each year.
- Parents are responsible for transportation to and from school for reassigned students.
- The Student Assignment Office may rescind a reassignment if the student has problems with behavior, tardiness or unexcused absences. If the reassignment was granted for specific academic programs, the student must meet the expectations of that program in order to continue participation and the reassignment.
- Further details on student reassignment can be found in The Board of Education Policy JBCC.
Forms in Spanish
The forms and policy referenced above may be downloaded in Spanish through these links:
2013-2014 Request for Reassignment Form (Spanish)
Child Care Supervision Form (Spanish)
Employer Verification Form (Spanish)
Board of Education Policy JBCC (Spanish)
Appeal of the Reassignment Denial
If the reassignment request is received by July 1 and is denied, the applicant, within five (5) days after receiving notice of the denial, may apply in writing to the Director of Student Assignment for a hearing with a Board of Education panel. After submission of the request for a hearing:
- The parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian will receive notification from the hearing officer of the day and time of the hearing.
- At the hearing, the panel shall consider the applicant's written documentation as previously provided and the applicant will be given ten (10) minutes to provide oral presentation to the panel citing why the initial decision to deny the request was in error.
- The Board of Education panel, at its discretion, may consider additional documentation regarding the request for reassignment.
- Five (5) minutes will be allotted for the panel to pose questions.
- The panel's decision will be forwarded to the full Board and the applicant will be advised of the Board's decision. Persons wishing to appeal their assignment requests to the Board shall be granted the opportunity to appeal each decision one (1) time during the school year.