The Middle College at UNCG
as of July 16th 2012
In an effort to create an atmosphere of professionalism and success, the following dress code will be required for all students at the Middle College at UNCG for the 2012-13 school year. Please be advised that the Guilford County Schools’ dress code that is outlined in the Student Code of Conduct, applies as well. Before students arrive on campus each day they must already meet our dress code guidelines. Students who fail to meet these guidelines must contact a parent/guardian to bring proper clothing. If the proper clothing is not furnished by the parent or guardian other arrangements will be made at the discretion of school officials. Students are required to adhere to the following dress code:
- Any colored collared shirt. It does not have to be solid. (MC at UNCG colors are blue, gold, gray and white-optional colors)
- Long or short sleeved polo or oxford style shirts
- Only the top two buttons of shirts may be unbuttoned, if not deemed by school officials to be too revealing.
- Undershirts in any color
- No logos, writing, pictures on shirts larger than an average sized business card
- If shirts have emblems they should not be any larger than a fifty cent piece
- All shirts (girls and boys) must be tucked in.
- MC at UNCG or UNCG sweatshirts may be worn with or without a collared shirt. MC at UNCG or UNCG t-shirts and other UNCG or MC at UNCG spirit wear can be worn at any time.
- Cardigans, sweaters, lightweight, and fleece style jackets may be worn during the school day. If these items are taken off, the shirt underneath must meet dress code.
- Students may wear any solid coloredpants, skirts, skorts and shorts.
- Bottoms must be dress type of fabric; must be fitted (not baggy/undersized/skin tight)
- Pajamas are prohibited
- All bottoms must be worn at the waist at all times with a belt if belt loops provided.
- Pants must be hemmed, and cannot drag on floor.
- Shorts, skorts and shirts may not be any shorter than 4” from above the crease at the back of the kneecap.
- Any colored khaki or dress type capris, cargo, or plaid shorts may be worn. (No more than 4” above the crease at the back of the knee)
- Only UNCG sweatpants may be worn.
- Tights, leggings, jeggings, form fitting spandex material and nylons are prohibited.
- Any colored belt must be worn if the garment was manufactured with belt loops.
- Oversized belt buckles are prohibited.
- Oversized jewelry is prohibited.
- Small clutch bags are recommended.
- Students may carry a MC at UNCG mesh bag. Bags may be purchased through the school.
- Only UNCG or MC at UNCG hats may be worn but should be taken off during class.
- Do-rags, scarves, bandanas and shades are prohibited.
- Hooded jackets or sweaters may be worn during transitions but the hoods should not be pulled over the head.
- Rolling book bags are suggested because college campuses do not have lockers.
Shoes should be comfortable enough to withstand the amount of walking that will take place on a college campus. For the safety of students the following guidelines will be enforced
- No sports sandals
- No flip flops or croc shoes
- No house or bedroom slippers
- Sandals are discouraged; especially when doing experiments
- Dress and/or open toe shoes are encouraged for professional dress days when applicable.
Dress for Field Trips
- Students are expected to dress professionally on all field trips unless otherwise instructed. Students will be given more details regarding professional attire, which could include a blazer, dress jacket or sports coat.
Non-Dress Code Days
The following are prohibited/cannot be worn:
· Spandex or any type of skin tight pants, skirt, skort , shorts or bottoms
· Mini-skirts or hot pants- all shorts must be no shorter than 4 inches above the crease of the back of the knee
· Profanity, obscene or suggestive language on clothing
· Halter, strapless or any revealing tops or bottoms
· Flip flops or sports sandals
· Sagging pants of any type
Jean Days( from student handbook)
Students will have opportunities to wear jeans on designated dates, which will be announced. The following code will apply:
- Skinny or tight jeans are prohibited.
- Jeans with writing are prohibited.
- Belt must still be worn
- No Sagging
- No rips or holes.
**If students do not meet these guidelines, a parent/guardian will be contacted and the student will be separated from the rest of his/her peers until proper clothing is attained. Student will work on class assignments while waiting.
Please be advised that this dress code is a guideline to student expectations for appropriate dress and may be amended at the discretion of school officials.