Is GCMC Right for You?
- GCMC is an academically challenging school that provides the nurturing environment necessary for student growth and success. The faculty engages students in active learning daily, providing flexibility in time and space. Off-campus learning experiences, coupled with varied classroom instruction, provide individuals with renewed interest in learning and reaching their goals.
- GCMC has a student body of approximately 120 students and is comprised of juniors and seniors. Students participate in core academic courses that meet graduation requirements and college entrance requirements.
- Class size is small, permitting students individualized attention and the opportunity to build supportive relationships.
- Faculty has been chosen for their respect for the individuality of students and their commitment to student success. Students are encouraged to take college courses for both high school and college credit.
- Guilford County Schools pays for all textbooks as well as the tuition for college level courses. GCMC operates classes, Monday through Friday, following a calendar that is different from Guilford County Schools. Schedules vary slightly for those students enrolled in college classes.
- High school classes are taught in various college classroom buildings and students have access to all college resources including the library, designated computer labs, and other educational experiences.
- Transportation can be provided by Guilford County Schools.
- The GCMC student is a capable and/or creative individual who has been either unsuccessful or dissatisfied in a traditional high school setting. This student possesses the maturity and independence to accept the challenges of this progressive school. Capable of honors level work and participating in college classes, the GCMC student is interested in being part of an intimate community with peers and faculty.
- Each student on the GCMC campus has unique needs; some may have had poor attendance or failing grades but all come with the desire to succeed.
Why GCMC is the bomb.
There is a distinct atmosphere of independence here at Greensboro College Middle College that is a rare and precious light to those who need it. I came here from all the typical horror stories of a traditional school. GCMC is a wonderful oasis, and I treasure every moment I spend with the wonderful teachers and friendly students. The biggest advantage of GCMC for me was it gave me a chance to enroll in college classes and get a year's worth of entry level credits out of the way so I can move on to more exciting subject matter when I move on to college.
~Kemper Watson, student
The Application Process. Applicants are invited to visit the campus and observe classes during the school year during our Magnet Monday Tours and also our Open House. Parents and students decide together if GCMC is the appropriate setting to complete your high school career. The student submits an application (co-signed by the parents), a transcript, and two letters of recommendation. Applications may be obtained from the home school guidance counselor, at any Guilford County administrative office, in our Main Office, or on GCMC's website.
Coming to GCMC has been unquestionably the best decision I've ever made. As a GCMC student, I'm free of the tedium of regular high-school, free to be myself, and free to express myself. I have the responsibilities of a college student and the opportunity to be trusted to handle those responsibilities. Anyone who thinks Middle College is a place for underachievers does not understand the concept. Rather, it's a place for students who are out-of-the-box, yearn for nonconformity, and feel caged in their current situations. It's a place for those who wish to soar to new heights, to learn in an atmosphere where teachers are friends and peers are family, and to flourish in an environment where individuality is accepted, appreciated and encouraged.
~Avery Hocutt , student
Making the Difference. GCMC offers the flexibility many independent minds require while challenging each student to grow. Students are given the opportunity and freedom to develop their own identities and find acceptance among their peers. This unique educational experience is designed for students who may not have performed to their fullest potential in the traditional high school. On this beautiful college campus, GCMC, with its limited student enrollment, small class size, and supportive relationships, encourages students to make a bold new start that puts them on the path to success.