The Guilford County Schools' Exceptional Children Services works as a collaborative team to serve and advocate for students with disabilities through the provision of personalized instruction in the least restrictive environment in order for students to develop cognitively, socially, vocationally and emotionally.
Exceptional Children Services, also called special education is defined as:
- Specially designed instruction designed to meet the unique needs of a student with a disability
- Access to the general curriculum and intervention programs designed to provide maximum opportunities for instruction in the general education setting
- Full continuum of service
- Curriculum driven instruction using the North Carolina Standard Course of Study and the North Carolina Extended Content Standards
- Related services that include but are not limited to speech, occupational and physical therapy
Parents, We want to hear from you!
EC Summer Institute- August 11/12: All EC Teachers and Related Service Providers must attend 6 hours of the ECS Summer Institute. The 6 hours can be distributed over the 2 mandated workdays to accommodate EC teachers and RSP’s other training needs. The Institute is broken into a 3-hour required session and 2 90-minute breakout sessions the participants can choose.
Any NEW EC paraprofessional (EC TA’s, Behavior Support Assistants, Personal Care Assistants, ICA’s, Job Coaches, and Language Facilitators) who joined Guilford County Schools after March 1, 2020 is asked to attend a training at Gateway Education Center August 18, 2021 from 8:30 – 11:30am.
Volunteers needed to assist students receiving special education services who don't have a parent to represent them during the IEP process.
134 Franklin Boulevard
Greensboro, NC 27401
Phone: (336) 370-2323
Fax: (336) 370-2326
Dr. Kimberly Steinke
Exceptional Children Services
Director EC Secondary School Support
- Kristy Peralta
EC Secondary Support Supervisor
Director EC Elementary School Support
- Stephanie Ruffin
EC Elementary Support Supervisor
- Kristy Peralta