About the Media Center
Our Mission: In the Media center our mission is to help students and staff learn, create and discover to become lifelong learners and digital advocates for future learning.
Our Vision: Shadybrook Elementary School's media Center strives to:
- Support and nurture a love of reaing in a variety of formats, including print and digital mediums
- provide a diverst collection reflective of th student population
- provide a welcoming, flexibe environment that encourages students to take charge of their own learning
- consider the social/emotional needs of all students
- reflect on ways to improve services to all stakeholders
- Teach students to be effective users of inormaiton and technology
What We Do: The school library media center (SLMC) acts as a resource center for curriculum content and pleasure reading. With the classroom teacher, the school librarian teaches students information and technology skills -- how to locate and use information -- as well as other skills that pertain to reading and literature. To do this, the librarian works together with classroom teachers and other staff members.
The Goal of Flexible Access: The school library media program's goal is to operate by a system of flexible access so that students and staff members have access to the teaching and support services of the librarian and to the library media center facilities and resources when they need them. Instruction is provided to individuals, small groups, and large groups in order to best meet the needs of students. In addition to providing support in the use of instructional and information technology, the school library program promotes the skill and enjoyment of reading in the development of independent, lifelong learners.