About Southwest Middle...
Principal: Arlisa Armond, Ed.D.
School Office Hours: 8:00am-5:00pm
Instructional Hours: 8:45am-3:50pm
First opening its doors August 24, 1992, Southwest Middle School has a current enrollment of 1250 students and a staff comprised of 109 staff members including certified teachers, teacher assistants, and office and support staff. Student achievement continues to be a top priority at Southwest Middle.
Special physical features of SWMS include:
- An integrated communication system with phones and a computer network that every classroom can access.
- A multipurpose room with a stage.
- Large spacious gymnasium located on the lower level.
- A separate wing on the main level houses the Encore (Elective) classrooms and computer labs.
- A forum-like outdoor classroom.
- A semi-circular cafeteria with windows and a small outdoor patio facing south.
We believe every student can learn and succeed and successful learning occurs in a positive environment characterized by high expectations and commitment of all involved. We are committed to ensuring respect for diversity, enhanced learning, and high achievement for all students.
The mission of Southwest Middle School is to prepare students for high school and beyond by creating a community of learners working together in a safe environment that encourages academic, social and personal growth.
We believe . . .
every student can learn and succeed.
a positive environment directly impacts learning.
high expectations lead to high achievement.
quality education is achieved through the commitment of all involved.
diversity enhances learning.