Welcome to Guilford County Schools! We are excited to welcome your family to our district. GCS focuses on personalizing learning for all our students. But what does that mean?
It's creative and interactive, moving away from the traditional classroom where students simply receive information from teachers.
It's providing training for all our teachers to measure where students are right now, where they need to be, and how to ensure they are moving ahead. It's making sure our teachers know how to educate students of all levels and backgrounds. It's finding each student's strengths and interests and building on them.
Kindergarten registration is usually held beginning March 1 through the end of April, but parents may enroll their child anytime up to and including the beginning of school. We encourage families to enroll in the spring, to ensure you receive all important communication from your child's school.
When registering your child, please have available:
- A certified birth certificate
- A Health Transmittal Form
- Your child's school assignment (Use our School Assignment Locator or call 336-370-8303 to learn the name of your child's school)
- A record of your child's immunizations (shots) from a pediatrician or the County Health Department including:
- Diphtheria, Tetanus, acellular Pertussis (DTap). Five doses required.
- If fourth dose is after the child's fourth birthday, fifth dose is not required.
- Inactivated Polio Vaccine or Oral Polio Vaccine (IPV or OPV).
Four doses required. The booster (4th) dose is required on or after the 4th birthday and before entering school for the first time.
- Measles. Two doses, with first dose on or after child's first birthday.
- Mumps. One dose on or after the child's first birthday.
- Rubella. One dose on or after the child's first birthday.
- Haemophilus Influenza Vaccine (Hib). One dose.
- Hepatitis B. Three doses. This vaccine is required for all children
born on or after July 1, 1994.
- Varicella. Two doses administered at least 28 days apart. This vaccine is required for all children born on or after April 1, 2001. The second dose before entering school for the first time.
- Proof of residence showing name and address such as a current, original utility bill or rental agreement (Telephone or cable television bills are not acceptable.)
Acceptable Forms of Proof of Residence
Items in one of the following points may be used as proof of address to verify domicile of the parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian:
- Current, original gas, oil, water or electric bill in the name of the parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian. (Telephone and cable television bills are not acceptable.)
- Official lease agreement in the name of the parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian.
- Driver's license (or State ID card from Department of Motor Vehicles) and voter registration card (obtain from the Board of Elections Office - not the Department of Motor Vehicles. DMV will not provide documentation of voter registration). These items must be in the name of the parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian.
- Driver's license (or State ID card) and car registration in the name of the parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian.
- Driver's license (or State ID card) and letter from employer verifying address of the parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian. Letter from employer must be on company letterhead.
- Driver's license (or State ID card) or voter registration card and Medicaid card in the name of the parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian.
If you have any questions regarding the registration process, please call the GCS Student Assignment Office at (336) 370-8303.
GCS Pre-Kindergarten Programs
Parents or guardians interested in the district’s Pre-K program for 4-year-olds should follow the instructions for the Pre-K Application and deadline. For additional information please contact the Pre-K office at 336-370-2362.
Parents or guardians interested in the Montessori magnet programs at Erwin, Triangle Lake or Washington Montessori schools, which includes programs for 4-year-olds, should follow instructions for the Magnet School Application and deadline. Contact the school for more information.