Request for Reassignment
The 2023-24 Request for Reassignment window will be open from May 1st at 8:00 a.m. - May 31st, 2023 at 5:00 p.m.
Reassignment requests must be submitted through Schoolmint, our online registration platform during the reassignment window at gcsnc.schoolmint.net.MESSAGE FOR SCHOOLS EXCEEDING CORE FACILITY CAPACITY:Students will not be reassigned to schools that are identified as already exceeding core facility capacity or where appropriate class size will be jeopardized. Applications to these schools will likely be denied.The following schools fall into this category:Elementary Schools:
Note: Specific grade levels at other elementary schools may also fall into this categoryMiddle Schools:
- Allen Jay
- Jesse Wharton
- Murphey Traditional
- Oak Ridge
- Northwest Guilford
- Eastern Guilford
- Northeast Guilford
- Northern Guilford
- Northwest Guilford
- Southwest Guilford
MESSAGE FOR STUDENTS ATTENDING A SCHOOL ON REASSIGNMENT:
If your student is currently attending school on an approved reassignment, the reassignment remains active until the student reaches their final grade at the assigned school (5th, 8th, & 12th). You DO NOT have to submit a new reassignment request for your student to remain at their current school for the 2023-24 school year.
Rising 6th and rising 9th grade students who are attending school on an approved reassignment must submit a new request.
Video: How to Submit a Reassignment Request
- Requests for transfers are reviewed and appropriate decisions made based on reason(s) for request and space availability in requested school.
- Requests for Reassignment should be made between May 1st and May 31st.
- No more than one reassignment request per student will be granted each year.
- An approved reassignment is applicable through the student's highest grade level at the school.
- Transportation is not provided to reassigned schools.
- Further details on student reassignment can be found in Board of Education Policy 4150- School Assignment
- If you need to request a school reassignment due to a medical emergency or extreme safety risk, please contact the Student Assignment office at 336-370-8303. Medical or safety documentation may be requested.
If the reassignment request is received between May 1-May 31 and is denied for a reason other than school/grade level capacity, the applicant may request an appeal using the link in their denial message. This request must be received within five (5) days after receiving notice of the denial.
After submitting a request for an appeal hearing:
- The parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian will receive notification from the GCS Hearing Officer of the day and time of the hearing.
- At the hearing, the panel shall consider the applicant's written documentation as previously provided and the applicant will be given ten (10) minutes to provide oral presentation to the panel citing why the initial decision to deny the request was in error.
- The panel, at its discretion, may consider additional documentation regarding the request for reassignment.
- Five (5) minutes will be allotted for the panel to pose questions.
- The panel's decision will be forwarded to the full Board and the applicant will be advised of the Board's decision. Persons wishing to appeal their assignment requests shall be granted the opportunity to appeal each decision one (1) time during the school year.