Request for Reassignment
The 2021-2022 Request for Reassignment window will be open from May 1st - July 1st.
Reassignment requests must be submitted through Schoolmint, our online registration platform during the reassignment window.
OUT OF COUNTY NOTICE FOR THE 2021-2022 SCHOOL YEAR: Due to the pandemic, enrollment requests for new students whose domicile is outside of Guilford County will not be accepted for the 2021-2022 school year. Considerations for the 2022-2023 school year will be revisited in the Spring of 2022. Please check this page for updates or contact the Student Assignment Office at 336-370-8303 if you have any questions. Thank you.
If you are submitting a reassignment request due to childcare needs, you must upload the following forms with your request:
- Child Care Supervision Form
- Child Care Supervision Form (Spanish)
- Employer Verification Form
- Employer Verification Form (Spanish)
- Requests for transfers are reviewed and appropriate decisions made based on reason(s) for request and space availability in requested school.
- Requests for Reassignment should be made between May 1st and July 1st.
- No more than one reassignment request per student will be granted each year.
- An approved reassignment is applicable through the student's highest grade level at the school.
- The Student Assignment Office may rescind a reassignment if the student has problems with behavior, tardiness, or unexcused absences. If the reassignment was granted for specific academic programs, the student must meet the expectations of that program in order to continue participation and the reassignment.
- Transportation is not provided to reassigned schools.
- The reassignment process does not include elementary/middle magnet schools and high school option programs. Magnet/Choice programs are administrated by Policy/Procedure IEM and IEM-P
- Further details on student reassignment can be found in Board of Education Policy JBCC
If the reassignment request is received by July 1st and is denied, the applicant, may apply in writing to the Director of Student Assignment for an appeal hearing with a Board of Education panel. This request must be received within five (5) days after receiving notice of the denial.
After submitting a request for an appeal hearing:
- The parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian will receive notification from the GCS Hearing Officer of the day and time of the hearing.
- At the hearing, the panel shall consider the applicant's written documentation as previously provided and the applicant will be given ten (10) minutes to provide oral presentation to the panel citing why the initial decision to deny the request was in error.
- The Board of Education panel, at its discretion, may consider additional documentation regarding the request for reassignment.
- Five (5) minutes will be allotted for the panel to pose questions.
- The panel's decision will be forwarded to the full Board and the applicant will be advised of the Board's decision. Persons wishing to appeal their assignment requests to the Board shall be granted the opportunity to appeal each decision one (1) time during the school year.