Check the Announcements to the right: complete the form and enroll in Remind!
Check Canvas after the start of school for all current information.
Honors Chemistry Guidelines: 2022-23
605-3300 ext. 1675
Chemistry is a challenging, cumulative subject.
You'll have a chance to apply learned math skills.
Success requires staying current and aiming for a real understanding of each concept.
Ms. Wells' Schedule
Honors Chemistry 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th periods
Planning 6th period
We practice safe science at all times.
- Horseplay, unauthorized experimentation, vandalism, theft, or intentional violation of any safety policy outlined in your safety rules will result in exclusion from the laboratory activities and the laboratory area.
Safety goggles, aprons, and close toe shoes must be worn for ALL laboratory work.
Gloves are always available.
Gloves must be worn if your skin is broken/cut, irritated, or overly sensitive; and when specified for work with certain chemicals.
Inform me of serious allergies.
1) Folders or a binder with tabs or rings to hold pages in place.
- Note: 3-Ring binders may set off the new Security Screeners you now pass through to enter the school.
- Due to the new Screeners, a set of folders with tabs may be the better choice to organize your papers!
- 3-Ring Binders are good organizers; but, you will need to remove your binder before entering the Screener each day.
2) Scientific Calculator
- Scientific calculator used in your math class is sufficient.
- Any scientific or graphing calculator will do.
- You need a ‘scientific notation’ function, marked 'EE' on the keypad.
- Bring the calculator to class each day.
- The library has calculators available for annual check-out.
3) Individual Goggle purchase is recommended; but, not required.
- Our class chemical splash/impact goggles are from Fisher Science, catalog #S68660.
- Other brands are acceptable; however, by law they must be certified “ANSI Z87+ D3”.
- The branding “Z87+ D3” must appear on the goggles!
- Z87+D3 is usually stamped along the goggle's frame.
- Legal chemical splash / impact goggles have indirect venting.
- You must demonstrate that your goggles meet legal requirements before use.
- Goggles may be stored in a Zip-Lock plastic bag with your name in the classroom.
- You must clean your goggles before each use with an alcohol wipe and glass cleaner.
- Placing cell phones in a collection pocket as you enter the classroom daily is required.
- Air Pods or ear buds are stored during class time, not worn.
- Smart watches are not used for texting during class time.
NWHS Policy applies a grade floor of 50% for the 1st and 2nd Quarters only.
- Grade floor does not apply to tests or daily work; floor only applies to the quarter average.
- No grade floor in the 2nd semester.
- All classwork, quizzes, and tests must be submitted before the end of the quarter in which they are assigned.
- Deductions are applied for late assignments, tests, and quizzes.
- Students are allowed 3 days for an excused absence to complete make-up work without penalty. (Consideration made for serious, long term illness.)
40% Unit assignments (homework, lab reports, quizzes, notebook checks, etc.)
60% Tests and Projects
No points are awarded for assignment submissions based on the use of unauthorized materials or the fraudulent use of another person’s work.
Students are responsible for making up all missed work in a timely manner.
Key instruction sessions are recorded.
- Recordings are posted at the bottom of the weekly Canvas assignment page.
- Watching recorded lessons is recommended for students absent from class.
Most students count on this course to prepare them for future science classes; including college chemistry.
In order to meet that goal, work to understand.
No flying through your work, no copying the work of others.
Own the concepts.
Do your work, ask questions, wonder about what you see and hear.
Persistence wins the day.
Be kind to others and yourself.
Please help me stay in touch and complete your contact info.
Join REMIND for your class period.
Individual Goggle Purchase is recommended!
Individual goggle purchases: Our class chemical splash/impact goggles are from Fisher Science, catalog #S68660.
Other brands are acceptable; however, by law they must be certified “ANSI Z87+ D3”.
The branding “Z87+ D3” must appear on the goggles!
Z87+D3 is usually stamped along the goggle's frame.
Legal chemical splash / impact goggles have indirect venting.
You must demonstrate that your goggles meet legal requirements before use.
Goggles may be stored in a Zip-Lock plastic bag with your name in the classroom.
You must clean your goggles before each use with an alcohol wipe and glass cleaner.
Ms. Wells is not responsible for lost or stolen goggles and you may choose to store them in a personal locker, etc.
Class Wish List
The following items are always in demand:
- Tissue ( We never have enough :)
- Pencils/Pens for sharing
- Clorox wipes
- Donations to the NWHS Science Activity Fund
- Gallon of distilled water
- Corn Starch (box)