What is GCS CDF Freedom School?
- A free, six-week, literacy-based, summer program of the Children's Defense Fund
- Highly-motivated and trained teachers serve as camp counselors
- For rising first- through third-graders who need a positive, safe, fun, & enriching summer experience.
- Integrated Reading Curriculum (IRC) which is delivered by the Servant-Leader Interns who are hired locally and trained both locally and nationally
- Math enrichment
- Two nutritious meals and a snack
- Morning Harambee Time, an energetic pep-rally to begin the day which includes a reading by a Community Guest;
- Afternoon activities including educational and extracurricular field trips, sports and crafts activities, arts and music education to enrich the summer experience
- Opportunity to promote social justice through service learning
- Books to enhance their at-home libraries
- Finale Showcase to share the experience with families and the community
After attending Freedom School, students return to school with a new excitement about reading, a more positive self-esteem, and improved skills for their everyday living and learning.