Students in our 7th grade World History Course (World History II) covers the age of the Black Death in the 1400s through contemporary history of today.
We do not use textbooks in our course, but will have access to Discovery Education's Techbook via our 1:1 laptops.
We will provide resources, reading passages, both paper and digital versions and activities to help students learn about the past in order to understand the present.
We will be using the North Carolina State Department of Education 2021 implementation of standards and objectives for 7th grade World History II. There are 5 disciplinary strands: Behavioral Science, Civics and Government, Economics, Geography and History.
There is also a skill strand: Inquiry. Students will:
- Learn to use questions to help identify important concepts in each of the disciplines
- Gather and Evaluate Primary and Secondary Sources
- Develop Claims and Use Evidence
- Communicate Ideas
- Take Informed Action
We will be including:
- Geography of Europe, Asia, Africa, North America and South America
- Vocabulary (available on quizlet.com)
- Important People
- Important Documents
- Important Events (and lots of interesting facts)
History sometimes tackles difficult and/or uncomfortable topics. These topics include: conflict, death, war, religion, illness, suffering, and hate.
Although it is not easy, it is important.
'Those who fail to learn from history are condemned to repeat it."
(in a 1948 speech to the House of Commons paraphrased George Santayana from The Life of Reason: the Phases of Human Progress, 1905.)