How to Become a Residency License Teacher

    Step 1: Qualify
    In order for you to obtain a Residency or Emergency License in the state of NC, you must meet the state’s requirements:

    Residency License Requirements:

    • A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college/university
    • 2.7 overall GPA or higher
    • A minimum of 24 semester hours of related coursework to the content area that you plan to teach or
    • Passing test scores on the NC State Board of Education approved content area test(s)- Praxis II and/or Pearson
    • Must be enrolled in an approved Educator Preparation Program (EPP). Click here for the approved EPP programs

    Emergency License:

    • A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college/university
    • A minimum of 18 semester hours of related coursework to the content area that you plan to teach
    • Must meet the requirements to qualify for a Residency License within the school year you are hired
    • Not enrolled in an Educator Preparation Program (EPP)

    If you have further questions about whether or not you qualify to obtain a Residency/Emergency License, contact our Guilford County Schools Residency License Program Administrator Terrik Higgins at (336) 378-8823 ext. 1 or Once hired, Guilford County Schools will facilitate the process of applying for your Residency/Emergency License.

    Step 2: Application
    Once you have determined that you qualify for a license, you need to obtain a teaching position within Guilford County Schools. To do this, submit an online application by clicking here.

    Step 3: Principal Interviews
    We encourage you to research information about schools of interest by reviewing the school's website. Information can be found by clicking on the SCHOOLS link on the district's home page.  
    Step 4: Clearing Your License
    Once you are hired as a teacher, you will receive either a Residency License (one-year license that is renewable twice) or an Emergency License (one-year non-renewable license)  There are two ways to complete the requirements for a Residency License:

    • Apply to participate in the Guilford County Schools Alternative Certification Track (GCS-ACT). This Guilford County Schools’ in-house program is specifically designed to meet the needs of a Residency Licensed teacher and is delivered by our Master Teachers. For more information on this program, visit our website by clicking here. In order to participate in this program, you must be seeking licensure in middle and high school math, science, social studies, English language arts: K-12 license in art, music, PE, EC- General Curriculum, foreign languages, English language learners; and most Career and Technical Education (CTE) areas. GCS-ACT is an approved Educator Preparation Program (EPP).
    • Affiliate with a college or university in an approved Educator Preparation Program (EPP). Almost all NC higher education institutions have approved EPP programs. Click here for the approved EPP programs.