• Senior Planning  Document 

    Senior Parent Meeting Parent Information

    Where do I apply for College?

    • There are several websites you can use to apply to college. Check the College Admission page to determine which website to use.
    • cfnc.org – Plan, Apply, and Pay for college
    • commonapp.org – Many schools now use this website. Create 1 application for several schools.
    • commonblackcollegeapp.com – Apply to 54 HBCUs with 1 application fee.

    Common App Questions: What is the GPA Scale? 4.0 What is our class ranking reporting? Exact Rank weighting? Weighted GPA Weighting? Weighted

    Fee waiver?  If you mark that you are paying with a fee waiver, you need to email a copy of your Medicaid card or free/reduced lunch approval to Mrs. Powell, Counseling Secretary.


    How do I find my GPA?

    • Your transcript lists your weighted and unweighted GPA   Request using the Transcript tab.
    • Your GPA is cumulative over your 4 years of high school.
    • GPA is re-calculated at the end of each semester for Block schedule classes and at the end of the year for year-long classes.


    University of NC Colleges and Universities https://www.northcarolina.edu/institutions/ 

    Vocational and Trade Schools https://www.accreditedschoolsonline.org/vocational-trade-school/

    Americorps https://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps  This program is open to young people between the ages of 18 and 24 who are ready to commit up to a year of their lives to making America stronger, safer, smarter, and healthier. While participating in the program, members receive transportation, meals, housing, a modest living allowance, and limited health care. In exchange for a year of service, members earn an education award to help pay for college or training programs. 

    Planning to apply to GTCC: Most programs at GTCC follow the open-door admissions policy (no screening). However, there are several programs, called limited enrollment programs, which have more applicants than resources, and thus a screening takes place. These limited enrollment programs include: Nursing, Automotive Systems Technology, Aviation Systems Technology, Cosmetology, Dental Assisting, Pharmacy Technology, Dental Hygiene, EMS, LPN, Medical Assisting, Physical Therapist Assistant, and Surgical Technology. Students interested in any of these programs should contact the GTCC Admissions Office early to discuss deadlines—some may be in October. (Website: gtcc.edu; Search “Limited Enrollment Programs”)


    Remember every senior must send their official transcript when you send your college application..  See the Transcript tab on this site for information.

    Application Do and Don'ts



    CSS PROFILE applications are available. PROFILE is a supplemental financial aid form required by some colleges. It is available on the College Board website and does cost a small fee unless a student has already taken the SAT with a fee waiver.

    Complete FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) online using 2019 Federal Tax information. Make sure to do te 20-21 FAFSA.


    UNC System Office outlines the Board of Governors’ decision to waive the standardized testing component for students applying for admission through Fall 2024 due to the disruption in the learning environment from COVID-19.  Here is a link to the website with this updated information: https://www.northcarolina.edu/standard-test-requirement-waiver/.


    Not sure about next year? Consider a “gap year.” CIEE offers US high school graduates a unique way to explore the world. More information at https://www.ciee.org/



    Endorsements: Again this year, North Carolina graduates will have the opportunity to earn Endorsements to their High School Diploma. Endorsements are not required to graduate but are an additional recognition from the state. Endorsements are earned by completing specific coursework, maintaining a minimum GPA, etc. Students may earn multiple endorsements and no special application is needed. Students earning an endorsement will be recognized with a seal placed on the diploma and the endorsement will be indicated on the transcript. 

    Diploma Endorsements https://www.dpi.nc.gov/districts-schools/high-school-graduation-requirements/high-school-diploma-endorsements

    New UNC System Admission Requirements https://www.northcarolina.edu/future-students/minimum-admission-requirements