Hi everyone and welcome back for the 2019-2020 school year. I am excited about this school year and all the fun things your child will do and learn in my classroom.
I am looking forward to working with your children in large and small groups and individual sessions as needed. I will be available Monday-Friday from 7:10 a.m. to 2:05 p.m. to assist with any needs that may arise. Finally, I truly look forward to working with all of the parents, community members, and students at Fairview. I hope you are as ready as I am for another great school year!
The 4 C's of Counseling:
Counseling is available to individual students, parents, and small groups.
Consulting takes place between counselors and teachers/parents.
Coordinating the efforts of school personnel and community agencies is a function of the counselor.
Classroom lessons follow a curriculum, which is developed and based on state standards of learning.
How can Parents Promote Student Success? Parents play a key role in ensuring that their child or adolescent achieves school success. When parents, students, and staff work together, the student will obtain his/her academic goals. Some of the actions that parents can take to promote school success are:
- encourage your child to seek friends who will be helpful to them
- try to do something enjoyable with your child at least once a week
- get acquainted with your child’s teacher(s)
- monitor where your child goes/this will encourage them to stay out of trouble
- communicate with school staff first when there is a concern with the school
- attend school functions such as conferences, programs, and athletic events
- encourage students to participate in school- related after-school activities
- consistently enforce household rules
- set aside a time when the whole family reads
- encourage students to talk about school, social activities, and their interests
- support school discipline policies
- talk to your child about tobacco, drugs, alcohol, gangs, and violence
- monitor your child’s choices of TV programs, video games and music.
Here is a list of topics that I could potentially cover in classroom guidance lessons. Feel free to let me know of any additional topics that would benefit your child.
Respect for Diverse Populations
Cooperating and Sharing
Dealing with Bullying
Below is a list of topics that I could cover in a small group. If you have a child that you would like to recommend for one of these groups, please let me know.
Changing Families (Divorce, displaced parent, etc.)
Study Skills (Organization, etc.)