Understanding STEM Education
- STEM has positive impact on African American student achievement
- Increase student, parent and most importantly teacher/staff awareness of and purpose STEM education- NCDPI resources /GCS Strategic Plan
- Toured successful STEM program in Charlotte
- Administrator with science & math background hired in 2012 who currently serves on GCS-STEM strategic team and GCS- AG Advisory committee
- NCDPI resources utilized - Surveys
- Local resources- colleges
- STEMology Night created- Principal
- Increase use of the Epson
- Utilizing technology more to decrease the use of worksheets
- Using technology for assessments
- Purchased additional technology
- Morning broadcast show
- Web pages
- Class dojo program used to reinforce positive behavior by using ClassDojo school-wide as part of our PBIS program. Class Dojo has (1)helped us with the decrease of paper used for the recognition of our students , (2)helps with school plan with the integration of technology (3) help improve the communication between teachers and parents (4) help with the decreasing the number of students in OS
Instructional - Technology Use vs Integration
Teachers use a variety of technology including virtual and online resources to meet student needs.
- Integration 2013 - present day
- All of the above continued from the integration perspective
- 2:1 model and teachers also utilize Airwatch and Mobi's to facilitate instruction.
- NearPod, Edmodo, Reading A-Z, Sumdog, LearnZillion, Spelling City, Reflex Math, Gynzy, Gizmo (Explorelearning), Discovery Education, National Geographic, etc. to enhance the instructional and student learning experiences.
- Newly- use of Achieve3000, Front Row, and Readtheory
- Class dojo - continue to use school-wide to address PBIS as well as another to communicate with parents via messaging and most recently using class story.
Instructional - STEM, Common Core, and Essential Standards
- The transition to the common core was in line with the instructional rigor needed for students to be successful beyond K-5 in the STEM fields.
- Purpose is not only to increase the number of STEM related professionals; but to provide students with STEM backgrounded needed to increase their ability to demonstrate mastery of higher level science and math content at the secondary level.
- Informational text and STEM
Instructional - Magnet Positions
- Full time technology specialist and magnet coordinator who not only teaches grades K-5 but provides the school with technology support.
- Full time technology specialist addresses the E in STEM through our Engineering/Tech lab. We have integrated the use of We Do Robotics and the introduced students to the five E’s of engineering.
- In the engineering/tech lab our LEGO team create products using We DO Robotics as well as the NXT/EB3 programming to solve real world issues.
- Full time science specialist who not only teaches grades K-5 science but provides the teachers with science support.
- All students (K-5) who attend Bluford STEM Academy interact and participate in both courses (science lab and engineering/tech lab) weekly.
- The Science Specialist implements the Engineering is Elementary curriculum. As students learn science content, they must use the engineering design process to design projects that solve problems.
- Teachers use a variety of technology including virtual and online resources to meet student needs.