TO: Members, Board of Education
FROM: Sharon L. Contreras, Superintendent
DATE: May 18, 2018
RE: Goalbook Toolkit
To address strategic plan goals and priorities, administration is recommending implementation of Goalbook Toolkit to support Exceptional Children (EC) teachers with designing learning targets and goals in conjunction with Individualized Education Programs (IEPs). Goalbook is a web-based platform that provides EC teachers with evidence-based strategies and resources that respond to the different ways students learn based on their unique needs.
Goalbook Toolkit represents one of the systemic approaches to address the historical gaps concerning instructional tools for EC teachers, and to improve instruction for the approximate 10,155 students identified with a disability.
More than 110 teachers from 59 schools participated in a review of the Goalbook Toolkit and shared feedback including:
- 94% Strongly Agreed/Agreed that Goalbook will help them implement strategies aligned to the needs of their students.
- 95% of Strongly Agreed/Agreed that Goalbook will help them with standards aligned instruction and IEP goals.
- 99.1% said Goalbook’s resources are aligned to the needs of EC teachers who work in general education and resource settings.
Training will include:
- Onsite Professional Development Workshops, focused on instructional best practices and making current research actionable using Goalbook resources
- Leadership development and train-the-trainer systems architecture to develop “experts across the hall” and knowledge capacity within district and school training teams and lead teachers
- Ongoing, job-embedded professional development through Goalbook’s resources, integrated into existing district and school instructional planning systems and processes
- A blended PD approach with scheduled monthly and on-demand webinars, coaching, and PD that augment district and school support to educators
Goalbook is nationally certified by the Western Regional Minority Supplier Development Council (NAICS Code 541511).
RECOMMENDATION: Administration recommends the purchase of Goalbook Toolkit and the associated training for the approximate Exceptional Children teachers (inclusion and resource settings) to be funded by the EC Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) Budget, PRC 60.
The two-year pricing structure saves $71,400:
- Goalbook for 2018-19 – $202,300 payment due Aug 30, 2018 (discounted from $238,000)
- Goalbook for 2019-20 – $202,300, payment due Aug 30, 2019 (discounted from $238,000)