Thanks to the GCS eBook Shelf, Guilford County Schools students can check out more than 5,000 eBooks and more than 130 audio books. It's just one way the district is working with families to ensure students can access reading materials anywhere - at home, school - even on the road!
To read an eBook online or check out an eBook, follow the instructions below.
Click the GCS eBook Shelf link:
- Under Location, select North Carolina
- Under School, type the name of your child’s school.
- Guilford County's eBook Shelf will open.
- Click Log In at the top right
- Log in - for students:
- Username is your child’s Student ID number (same as his/her lunch number and printed at the top of the report card)
- Password - Your child’s birthday mmddyyyy, (2-digit month, 2-digit day, 4-digit year) no spaces, slashes, or dashes.
- Log in - for parents:
- Ask your school Media Specialist for the Guest Login for your school. Student logins are connected to their school’s shelf and only feature content appropriate for that school’s age level.
- District Guest access:
- To browse the entire GCS District eBook collection, click this link and log in as a guest:
USERNAME: GCSguest PASSWORD: GCSguest
Searching and Checking Out Books
Once you are logged in, you can find books using the icons for genres. To access ebooks and audiobooks online, type into the search bar, filter for Availability, and see what you can find. Make sure you are on DIGITAL. You can also find actual books in the library, but you have to check those out in the library.
Click on the hamburger (three lines) and click Checkouts to see everything checked out to you, including eBooks, audio books and physical books.
Check out is easy. Just click on Open to preview the book and Check Out to check it out of the digital library. When the book is due, it will check itself back in, but you should check it in when you finish so that others may enjoy it too. Just like with physical books, there are only a certain number of copies of and when it is checked out, others have to wait until it is checked back in.