VS @ The Academy at Lincoln
Lincoln Students Win Science Fair
to Academy at Lincoln 7th graders Namita Chaudhary, Jayden Cho, Aiden Bell, and Bryan He for participating in the State Science Fair over the weekend. Bryan won first place in the Technology category and Jayden won first place for Earth & Environmental Science. Both students have been invited to compete in the "Thermo Fisher Scientific Junior Innovators Challenge" to determine the top 300 science fair projects in the country.
Very Strong (VS)
For students in grades 4-8, Guilford County Schools (GCS) offers one full-time, separate-setting academically and intellectually gifted program students. This program is housed on the campus of the Academy at Lincoln. VS students are served in all four core subjects (Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies) by the classroom teacher. VS classroom teachers are required to hold North Carolina state licensure in Academically Gifted instruction.
- Click here to read answers to commonly asked questions about the VS Program.
- Click here to visit The Academy at Lincoln's webpage.
- Click here if your child is not currently enrolled in Guilford County Schools, but you have an interest in applying for the VS Program.
Criteria for Eligibility: VS (Grades 4-8)
The following criteria must be met to receive Very Strong (VS) services. Student progress is reviewed each year to determine if VS services remain the best services to meet the student's academic and intellectual needs.
- Aptitude: Nationally normed percentile score at or above the 97th percentile
- Reading Achievement: Nationally normed percentile score at or above the 97th percentile OR Level 5 on the NC EOG AND performance at the 97th%ile or above.
- Math Achievement: Nationally normed percentile score at or above the 97th percentile OR Level 5 on the NC EOG AND performance at the 97th%ile or above.
- Science Achievement: Nationally normed percentile score at or above the 95th percentile OR Level 5 on the NC EOG AND performance at the 95th%ile or above OR combined Science and Social Studies composite score at the 95th%ile or above.
- Social Studies Achievement: Nationally normed percentile score at or above the 97th percentile OR combined Science and Social Studies composite score at the 95th%ile or above.
- Grades: Average of “A” in each of four core subjects
A performance task may be available to supplement one eligibility criterion if all other eligibility criteria have been met. Also, as stated in the district's current AIG Plan, to further address the impact of one's race, socioeconomic status, culture/ ethnicity, and other educational barriers, the AG Department uses a rubric that helps to quantify the impact of these areas on highly academically and intellectually gifted students.
VS Application Process
Applications to the VS Program are accepted annually during the district’s Choice Schools Application Window. Due to the additional testing that may be required to determine a student’s eligibility for VS services, the deadline to apply for the VS Program may differ from the district-wide Choice Schools Application window. The deadline for VS applications will be stated on this webpage. The AG Department will provide an application code to all students currently enrolled in Guilford County Schools who have data that indicates a possible pathway to VS eligibility. Not all students who receive this application code will meet the final criteria for VS services. The application codes are used to inform as many families as possible of the potential for VS services – the codes are not intended to serve as notification of final eligibility for VS services.
If your child did not receive an application code or does not currently attend a GCS school, please click on one of the links below to access an electronic form that will allow you to submit your interest in the VS Program.
Additional questions regarding VS services can also be directed to Dr. Dee Jordan at firstname.lastname@example.org or (336)370-8322.
If your child does not currently attend a GCS school, please refer to the New to Guilford County Schools tab in the menu to the left for information on how the district determines VS eligibility for non-GCS students.