Athletic Fee Information
Why a student athletic fee?
Guilford County Schools values the important life and character-building lessons our students learn through school athletics and is proud of the hard work and dedication of our student athletes. Currently, the district spends approximately $609 per student athlete each year. Unfortunately, we can no longer afford to do so and maintain our core academic programs. That’s why we’re asking families of our student athletes to pay $45 per child per year, regardless of the number of sports the student plays.
- The Guilford County Board of Education approved an annual fee of $45 for each athlete regardless of the number of sports played.
- A student enrolled in an early college, middle college, or other school without a sports program will pay the fee at the student’s base sports school.
- No athletic fees will be collected by schools until after tryouts and the coach has placed the student on the team roster.
- Students whose families cannot afford the one-time athletic fee may apply for a waiver. (See the complete Athletic Fee Information Sheet and the Athletic Fee Waiver Request Form linked below for more information.)
- The fee does not guarantee playing time.
- The fee does not guarantee a team’s schedule will include a certain number of contests.
IMPORTANT NOTE: GCS is still collecting the annual $45 fee for athletics. If you cannot afford the fee and would like to be considered for a waiver, read the information on the waiver request form carefully before submitting the request.