Project Update: Peck Elementary K-8 Expeditionary Learning
Latest Project Update (January 27, 2023)
Current phase: Construction
Expected completion: September 2024
The Peck K-8 Expeditionary Learning school will be the first of its kind in Guilford County.
Key Points of Interest
- Erosion & Sedimentation Control is Complete
- Construction Safety Fence is Installed
- Early Site Utility Package Work is Underway
- Grading Work Continues
Key Project Information
Estimated budget: $41,323,632
Action: Rebuild as a regional K-8 expeditionary learning magnet
Timeline for project
- Phase: 2
- Begin date: To be determined
- Estimated completion date: September 2024
Bid for bond suppliers timeline: 2022
- 1929: Main building erected on 37 acres donated to the city for educational use, is one of the oldest in the Guilford County School system
- 1949: Additional classrooms and the cafeteria were built
- 1951: Added separate three-classroom building
- 1983: A media center and modernized administrative offices were added
- 1984: A four-classroom wing was added.
- 1998: A paved circular drive was added at the main entrance to the building from Florida Street.
- 1999: Added central heating and air-conditioning
- 2006: The classroom space at Peck was expanded by eight rooms, known as the Yarborough Annex. The cafeteria was enlarged to house two hundred children. The Pre-K lab was renovated to a double-sized classroom and the entire hall was upgraded to 2006 standards. In addition, Peck has six learning cottages.