Project Update: Brooks Global Studies
Latest Project Update (March 16, 2022)
Current phase: Design
Expected completion date: February 2024
Brooks Global Studies School is being relocated to an existing GCS property located at 400 Ashland Drive, Greensboro – directly across from the Greensboro Arboretum. In addition, due diligence surveys have been completed, such as topographical, geotechnical, and traffic impact analysis.
Schematic design is complete, and design development is underway. GCS staff, parents and community have been actively engaged in the design process, and the project team continues to prioritize their involvement.
Key points of interest:
- Numerous staff, parent/student, and community feedback meetings have been held
- Survey work is 100% complete
- Soil borings work is 100% complete
- Traffic impact analysis is substantially complete
- Design work is well underway
- Project has been submitted to the NC Department of Public Instruction
- Architects have met with Greensboro City Department of Transportation
- Architects have met with Greensboro Planning Department
1Schematic Design is the first phase in the construction process, followed by Design Development, and then Construction Documents.
²Survey is a multi-part process. We first perform underground utility locating service to mark all the underground utilities on top of the site. These utilities are then located on the final survey for identification during the construction process We then find the entire legal boundary of the project, then verify the topography of the entire site in 1’ increments. Roadways are also identified on the final survey.
Key Project Information
Estimated budget: $22,174,130
Action: Rebuild and relocate to the old Craven School site
Timeline for project
- Phase: 2
- Begin date: To be determined
- Estimated completion date: February 2024
Bid for bond suppliers timeline: 2022
Year built: 1951