• play learn grown Prek 6 kids


    Frequently Asked Questions

    What do I do if I think my child may need special educational services through the Preschool EC Program?
    Parents can call the main number (336) 294-7473 and make a request for developmental and/or screening/evaluation.  Preschool staff will then conduct screenings (hearing, vision, speech/language, developmental) to determine what type of evaluation your child may require to identify any special educational needs.

    What happens if my child passes the screening?
    If your child passes all parts of the screening, generally, that would indicate that there is not a need to evaluate your child for special education services.

    What if my child fails some or all of the screenings?
    With your permission, your child will receive evaluations in the areas of concern identified as delayed during the screening process. Once the evaluations are completed, you will be asked to attend a meeting to determine if your child is eligible for special education services. If your child is eligible, an Individual Education Program (IEP) will be developed for your child.

    What is the difference between Exceptional Children's Preschool Program and Guilford County School Pre-K?
    The Exceptional Children's Preschool program provides special education services for children as indicated in their Individualized Education Program (IEP). Children can be eligible for these special education services beginning at age 3. The Early Learning Department can provide general education experiences for preschoolers through the GCS NC PK program. Children who are four years of age by August 31 are eligible to apply to a full day educational program including the GCS NC PK program. Magnet school options for preschoolers can be located here. 

    What other community preschool options are available for my child?

    Children who are four years of age by August 31 are eligible to apply for community preschool programs through the Partnership for Children and Guilford Child Development.  Limited options for children who are three years old are available through Guilford Child Development. 

    Guilford Child Development’s Head Start/Early Head Start program is a comprehensive child development program at NO COST to qualified families. The income limits are based on family size and household income.  Learn more about this community program here

    What do I do if I moved here from another county or state and my child has an IEP?
    Call our main office (336) 294-7473. We will meet with you and make the necessary arrangements to obtain your child's Exceptional Children's file from the state or county you have come from and determine the appropriate special education services for your child that meet NC Guidelines.