The North Carolina Governor's School is a 4-week summer residential program serving approximately 335 gifted and talented high school students, integrating academic disciplines, the arts, and unique courses on each of two campuses. The curriculum focuses on the exploration of contemporary ideals and concepts in each discipline, and does not involve credit, tests, or grades. Each summer, selected students are invited to Governor's School to help build a learning community during a four-week residential session. Students go through a local (Guilford County Schools) and state nomination process. Our school's Governor's School Contact, Jennifer Kijania, is using the form to gauge student interest in applying for this prestigious opportunity.
Student Eligibility: Students enrolled in Guilford County Schools are eligible to apply if they meet one of the following criteria:
(1) Currently enrolled in the 11th Grade; OR
(2) Tenth grader seeking nomination in Dance, Choral Music, or Instrumental Music
Note: Students enrolled in Guilford County Schools as an Exchange Student are not eligible to apply.
Tuition and Fees: The tuition fee is covered by Guilford County Schools. As such, there is no cost to the students nominated by Guilford County Schools and selected by the state to attend NC Governor's School.
Tentative Dates: The tentative dates for the 2023 session are June 18 - July 15, 2023. Unless the program has a scheduled break, students accepted into the program must agree to attend all dates and remain on the campus of the hosting institution.
Early/Middle College at GTCC Greensboro Students & How to Apply:
- Submit the interest form by 10/15/22 (sent to 10th & 11th Grade GCS email addresses on 10/7/22)
- Download and save the Student Application (https://www.dpi.nc.gov/media/15671/download?attachment)
- Download, save, and share the Recommendation Form with two adults who can attest to your academic/art strengths, personal character, and readiness (https://www.dpi.nc.gov/media/15669/download?attachment)
- Submit your application to Jennifer Kijania by Friday, November 4, 2022.
To Learn More About NC Governor's School:
- Meet with our school's Governor's School Contact, Jennifer Kijania. Students are strongly encouraged to use the Want to Meet with Mrs. Kijania button on the homepage of Communication, House, or grade level Canvas courses to schedule an appointment. Email at firstname.lastname@example.org or Canvas message if you have issues or questions.
- Visit www.ncgovschool.org
- Attend one of the virtual sessions that will be sponsored by Guilford County Schools AG Department, Counseling Service Department, and Parent Academy. Visit the AG Department website (https://www.gcsnc.com/site/Default.aspx?PageID=2025) for dates and the registration link. The GCS flyer with information is also linked in the 10th & 11th Grade Canvas course announcements and calendar events.