Get Certified and Expand Business Opportunities!
To become certified by the state as a minority-owned (MBE), woman-owned business (WBE) or disadvantaged business enterprise (DBE), please see the following certification requirements.
Who is eligible for MWBE Certification?
The business is at least 51% owned and operated on a daily basis by a woman or minority, which includes socially and economically disadvantaged individuals according to North Carolina General Statute 143-128.
- Complete the detailed application process with the:
- N.C. Department of Transportation - MBE and WBE Certification
- N.C. Department of Administration - N.C. Statewide Uniform Certification for Historically Underutilized Businesses (HUBs) or the N.C. Small Business Enterprise Program (NCSBE)
- N.C. Department of Transportation - N.C. Certification for Disadvantaged Business Enterprises (DBEs)
- Provide sufficient documentation per the requirements for each certification.
Benefits of HUB Certification
Vendors who acquire HUB Certification increase exposure to business opportunities in state procurement and contracting. HUB-certified firms are listed on the state's HUB Vendor Link System, which is used by local and state agencies, governments and institutions and the public to locate historically underutilized businesses for goods, services and construction. Additionally, HUB-certified firms for goods and services who register with Guilford County Schools (GCS) are included in the MWBE Vendor Minibase, a new resource designed as an easy access point for GCS schools, departments and central offices. Another advantage of HUB certification is the access to a variety of workshops, training sessions and mentorship programs. Connecting with professionals in the business industry helps firms learn perks of the trade while avoiding some of the issues small businesses often experience.