Battle of the Books
Hello, 4th and 5th Grade Families!
Is your child interested in joining Battle of the Books? Battle of the Books is a fun reading competition open to all 4th and 5th graders. You do not have to be the best reader or the quickest reader, but you must enjoy reading. If you do, this may be the club for you.
Kids will be responsible for reading the 15 books on the list and answering questions about those books in a quiz-style format. The list of books can be found here. The Claxton library has copies of all the books and there are copies of these books in eBook format on the Library page. Out of all of the participants, 12 kids will make the final team, which will compete against other GCS schools, in the spring.
Claxton Media Center - Mission and Objectives
Media Center Mission:
The focus of our Library Program is to support students and staff in learning and teaching by creating an environment that…
- encourages a love of reading and an appreciation for literature;
- fosters critical thinking skills to find, evaluate and use information;
- facilitates access to quality curricular resources.
Media Center Objectives:
- Support and encourage students' participation in the Guilford County Schools "GCS Read 30" Reading Initiative and the Claxton Reading Program. Students will be challenged to read at least 30 minutes a day, thereby increasing vocabulary and fluency as well as building a love of reading.
- Continually improve the quality of the library collection through purchasing new, relevant, books and other types of publications that students will enjoy reading for pleasure and information. Our Five-Year Collection Development Plan includes genres and specific selections from teachers, students and parents.