WELCOME TO CTE TECHNOLOGY
Name: Mr. Joey McGinnis
Title: CTE Technology Teacher
Phone: (336)819-2985 ext. 1656
Time and Method of Contact: I check e-mail regularly & it is the best way to reach me.
Hello! My name is Mr. McGinnis
I will be your CTE Technology teacher this year. I am super excited to be working with you & your child to make this an amazing year.
I am from Cincinnati, OH & have been living in North Carolina 16 years. I earned my Bachelors in General Science from Morehouse College, Atlanta, GA, Bachelors of Science in Industrial Engineering from Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA & my Master in Business Administration from Georgetown University in Washington, DC.
My hope is that you will find my class engaging, fun & hands-on. A class that you look forward to attending everyday this year!
CTE Technology Course Description
6th Grade - Discovering STEM curriculum students will be introduced to basic STEM concepts. Students will take part in an activity from each area with culminating activities that put their STEM skills to the test. Students will enjoy hands on minds on approach to learning about science, technology, engineering, and math. Each activity is designed to give the teacher flexibility of delivery.
7th Grade Designing with STEM introduces students to the fun and powerful tools of designing and problem solving. The activities and academic applications engage the learner to embrace Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics while they examine each of the integral steps of critical design and problem solving.
8th Grade Investigating STEM Skills course uses project-based and hands-on learning activities to prepare students for real-world applications. Each of the units in the course includes relevant, rigorous and blended instruction through project-based and hands-on learning. Units include baseline experiences like teamwork, problem solving and design and modeling as well as more specific areas of study like Medical Technologies, Engineering, Agriculture and related Biotechnologies and Coding/3D Design.
Student learning will be evaluated by a combination of all or some of the following forms
- Individual Projects
- Small Group Projects
- Post Tests
- Review Questions
- Announced and Unannounced Quizzes
- Unit Projects and/or Papers
- Do not abuse or mishandle computer equipment
- Do adjust/touch computer monitors
- Do not personalizes computers by installing sfren savers or changing desktop background/features
- Clean workstation area daily
- Use your time to complete assignments in a timely manner.
- Come prepared to learn: Mentally and with proper materials (notebook, pencil,
- pen, etc.)
- My desk: Please respect my personal space. My computer is off limits to
students without permission.
Specific Classroom Rules:
- Listen carefully
- Follow directions
- Never give up
- Raise your hand to speak
- Respect others
- Use kind words
- Always do your best
- Help each other
- Treat others how you want to be treated
- ASK QUESTIONS
- Verbal Warning
- Parent Contact
- Referral to Administrator
- All assignments turned in will include the following:
- Full Name & Class or Period
- Assignments are due by the end of the class period, anything turned in later will
be considered late and subject to a 50% deduction.
- Assignments done carelessly will be returned to the student without evaluation
- 1 Day Late = 20% Deduction
- 2 Days Late = NO CREDIT
- Extra Credit: Will be done periodically throughout the year through built in
assignments and tasks.
- To avoid any confusion on due dates and confusion on assignments, all
information for the class will be written on the board in my classroom. I
make every attempt to have 4-5 days of future lessons/assignments/due dates on
the board for each class I teach, this allows students to know what is going on
each day, and future lessons/assignments/due dates.
GCS STEM provides all necessary materials and supplies for curricular classes.
Parents who wish to supplement these materials and supplies for their student in this class may consider purchasing the following:
- Folder to keep track of papers
- Notebook or Binder for Notes
If you would like to donate to my classroom we are in need of the following items which can be donated at any point throughout the year. Thank you in advance for your help!
- Colored Pencils
- Glue Sticks
- Antibacterial Wipes
- Hand Sanitizer
- Please ask a fellow classmate to find out what you missed during your absence or
feel free to ask me before or after school or during some free time.
- It is the student’s responsibility to get assignments in advance of a pre-planned
- Due dates will not be altered for a pre-planned absence.
90% -100% A
80% - 89% B
70% - 79% C
60% - 69% D
0% - 59 F