Battle of the Books Information
Interested in joining the 2021-2022 Battle of the Books team?
- The Battle of the Books teams will begin meeting in-person (as possible while adhering to school safety guidelines) after school
- To join the team, students must have read and taken notes on at least 2 of the books on the list
- Students should see Mrs. Morgan in the library for an informational packet and are encouraged to start reading ASAP if interested in joining the team
- Wednesday, October 20: Notes are due
- Students must have read and taken notes on 2 (or more) books from the list by 10/20 to join the team
- Permission forms will be given to students as they turn in their notes, beginning mid-October
- Tuesday, November 2: Permission forms are due
- Wednesday, Nomember 3: First afterschool meeting (2:30-3:45)
What is Battle of the Books?
Battle of the Books (BOB) is state-wide competition among schools, beginning for us at the county level. Students compete in teams of 12 (6 students at a time) against other teams in a quiz-bowl style competition answering questions about the books on the designated list.
The goal of the BOB competition is to encourage reading and expose students to a variety of quality literature. The game format allows for more interest and excitement while students improve reading skills and broaden their knowledge base and reading choices. Although this is a serious competition, the goal is to have fun and read, not necessarily to win!
Johnson Street has two Battle of the Books teams, one for elementary students in grades 4 & 5 and one for middle school students in grades 6-8. You can find the book lists below.
Due to health and safety precautions, this year's GCS competition will be held virtually.