Phone: 336-449-4711 ext. 1200
Degrees and Certifications:
Hello! My name is Hannah Nelson and I am the school counselor at Sedalia Elementary School. I began my work here in March of 2018 and I am well aware of how fortunate I am to be a part of this school! I talk fondly about growing up in a small town in Minnesota, but I fell in love with the weather, people, and landscape of NC and can't imagine living anywhere else! I am extremely passionate about serving students and my community. I enjoy hiking, camping, and spending time with my husband, our children, and our dog.
I received my Bachelors degree in Psychology at North Dakota State University and I received my Masters degree in School Counseling at North Carolina A&T.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me!
I am here to serve all students, families, and staff here at Sedalia!
What Does A School Counselor Do?
Let me share a few of the things that I do each day to serve the students, staff and families at Sedalia Elementary School.
Students may be referred for individual counseling as deemed necessary by the student, parents/guardians, and teachers.
Counselor meets with students to:
- Problem-solve issues of concern
- Provide support when dealing with personal problems
- Create a plan for academic success
- Explore career awareness
Consultation & Collaboration
Counselor meets with parents/ guardians to:
- Provide support for parents seeking help
- Provide information regarding available community resources
- Share information about their child within the boundaries of the counselor’s professional ethics
- Review student academic performance
Counselor consults with staff and other professionals to:
- Help identify and assist students with academic difficulties
- Assist administration in coordinating activities such as orientation, testing, and registration
- Assist staff in teaching curriculum dealing with the Comprehensive School Counseling Program
Make referrals to community agencies when necessary
I reach 100% of the student population through teaching classroom character education classes. Students engage in classroom guidance each week. Several of the many subjects for the 2018-19 school year include:
- Effective Problem Solving
- Conflict Resolution
- Coping Skills
- Test Taking Skills
- Studying Skills
- Career Awareness
- And Much More!
Small Group Counseling
Group counseling is available for students. Small groups require parent permission and may be initiated by parent/teacher referral.
Group topics include:
- Anger Management
- Family Changes
- Grief & Loss
- Coping Skills
- And Much More!
Your elementary counselor can help…
- You understand yourself and others.
- When you need someone to listen.
- With family changes.
- When you are faced with personal and difficult situations.
- With career development and healthy decision-making.
- When you are stressed out!
Common Concerns Dealt with in a School Counselor’s Office
- “I’m having trouble with an adult.”
- “I just need to talk to someone.”
- “My best friend hates me and
now everyone is against me.”
- “My homework isn’t done because of something that happened at home.”
- “Something happened to me
and I need to tell someone.”
- “One of my parents left last night
and I don’t feel very good.”
- “I don’t have anyone to play with.”
Counselor may meet with students about…
- Behavior issues
- Problems with grades
- Missing too many school days
- Healthy peer relationships
- Helping with transitions
All information shared during counseling sessions are confidential unless you tell us that:
- You are planning to harm
yourself or others
- You are the victim of abuse or neglect
In these situations, we are required by law to report this information to parents and/or the appropriate agencies.
Referral to the Counselor
Parents, staff, and students can always let me know that they need to speak with me via phone, email or note, but this is a great way for parents and teachers to reach out to me if they have a concern and would like for me to meet with a student. The QR code is posted above and can help you quickly access the form by scanning the QR code with your camera. You may also access this form through this link:
Reminder: Students can ask to speak with me by asking their teacher to email me or by filling out an "I Need To See The Counselor" form. After filling out this form, they may place it in the school counselor box next to the SEL bulletin board.
Cocoa With The Counselor & Social Worker Event
This ongoing event provides the opportunity to get together and explore a variety of issues central to our students, offer resources from the school and community, and to receive support from professionals and parents alike as we enjoy hot cocoa and other goodies from our community. This is a great opportunity for parents to meet and chat with the counselor and social worker in addition to providing a space to share concerns and to find support for their child/children, family, etc. Come early for the chance to win one of several giveaway items and we look forward to seeing you there!
Dates: TO BE DETERMINED
Location: TBD @ Sedalia Elementary School
Dental Resource At Sedalia Elementary!
Date: TO BE DETERMINED
Great news! Our school has partnered with Smile North Carolina…the mobile dentists to offer in-school dental care. CLICK HERE or visit https://www.myschooldentist.com/SIGCNC_sch to sign up your child today!
Even better, dental care is usually at no cost to you. All insurance is accepted including Medicaid and NC Health Choice for Children. This is great news as there is a significant lack of Medicaid providers in our area. A low cost self-pay option is available for those without insurance.
Convenient and comfortable
Our in-school dental program saves you time and provides a safe and comfortable place for your child to receive gentle dental care from licensed local professionals. Dental care includes a complete dental exam, x-rays, cleaning, fluoride and sealants when necessary, and in some cases, restorative care such as fillings.
Dental care for a healthy life
Children who see a dentist regularly may have fewer health issues like:
- Early tooth loss due to dental decay
- Gum disease
- Heart disease
- Impaired speech development
Help keep your child healthy, in school and learning.
If you have any questions, contact the school counselor at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 336-449-4711 ext. 1200.