Welcome to Mr. Perry's 6th Grade Social Studies class, I am so glad that you will be part of our learning community. This year we will explore many different types of ancient civilizations and the people that helped to build the foundation for the world we know today.
Just a little information so you can know about me! I am a veteran teacher with over 20 years of experience in the classroom. I have taught elementary grades 2, 3, 4, and 5 for the first 18 years of my career. My time at The Academy at Lincoln began in 2016 and for my three years, I taught 6th grade math. The year 2019 began my journey teaching 6th grade Social Studies and I am so excited to be here to be part of your learning.
This year our 6th graders will be learning about ancient civilizations by focusing on some key themes for any Social Studies classroom. These include; Geography or the studies of landforms and how they impact developing cultures; Religion and how it has influence ideas and behaviors of people; Arts/architecture and why the way we express our ideas can take many forms; Politics and the practices used to govern and manage people: Economics or the way that people exchanged goods in many ways; Social Structures or how differently people are classified based on a variety of means.
Our ancient times will begin with prehistory and the early development of cultures and the influence of ideas on how we became a civilized society. We will investigate many early civilizations including, Mesopotamia, Egypt, India, China, Greece and Rome, Byzantine and Islamic cultures and early American developments.
I am so excited that we will be working together this year and I look forward to being part of your Social Studies education.
Happy Friday morning! I hope this finds you well and making the most of your time at home. Thanks to all of the students that have reached out letting me know that they have accessed CANVAS, you are on your way with Distance Learning. Please send me a reply through CANVAS once you have gotten started so that I know we will be able to communicate with one another.IMPORTANT INFORMATION BELOW....PLEASE READ AND REPLY AS SOON AS POSSIBLEI have created a REMIND account just for my Social Studies class. This tool will be used to send out DAILY reminders to parents and students of assigned work that will be due for that day. Please sign up as soon as possible so that we have multiple lines of communication. If you do not have the app in your phone you may need to load this FREE tool for collaborating with teachers.Please open the attached file to access the instructions for signing up! The instructions are as follows:Send a text to----81010Message in text----@gdfgeaOnce in follow any instruction that are given.***You may also access the link--https://www.remind.com/join/gdfgea--I will begin sending out messages as soon as folks get signed up to keep you informed of announcements and assignments.
Thank you again for all of your patience and support during this time. Together we will succeed!Mr. Perry
Thanks for being here today and I hope you have a great day!
ACCESSING THE INFORMATION FOR DISTANCE LEARNING
This is going to be a new experience for many of us so please use patience during these unusual circumstances.
- Your child will need to have their ncEdcloud username(lunch number) and password(Hornets1) to access this account.
- ACCESS your Social Studies Canvas account--just as we have done in class this year.
- Go to FILES and locate the Unit that you are searching for at this time. They will be grouped by the Lessons that are the focus content at the time.
- Click on the desired file. (ex. Ancient Greece)
- Click on the desired pages. (ex. Lesson 1.1 and Lesson 1.2 pages....)
- Read the attached information carefully before answering the lesson questions.
- ANSWER--Review and Assess questions at the end of each lesson. Students will respond using WORD documents that can be submitted to the teacher through email.
- Submit answers to the Review and Assess questions using WORD documents. Be sure to save the documents before sending. BE SURE TO INCLUDE THE STUDENT NAME ON ALL DOCUMENTS SO THAT YOU ARE GIVEN CREDIT FOR YOUR WORK!!!!!
- Continue to proceed through the process for ALL of the Lessons in CANVAS
Patience and Persistence will be necessary as we navigate through this unexpected situation. Thank you for all that you do, together we can do this!!!!