What is the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme?
International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme
Guilford County Schools is proud to offer, and strongly supports, the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme (IB-PYP) Programme at Falkener International Baccalaureate Organization World School. Full preparation is taken by staff to create, foster and implement the best practices under the IB philosophy. Ongoing teacher training is designed and provided by the International Baccalaureate Organization, both on-site at Falkener and in other IB-sponsored locations. Falkener staff consistently direct all aspects of the school day, from classroom environment to curriculum, to integrate and reinforce PYP in the school community.
What Is It All About?
Developed by educators from around the world, the PYP emphasizes internationalism and identifies what students from all cultures should learn in six subject areas: languages, social studies, mathematics, science and technology, the arts and personal, social and physical education. Falkener uses the North Carolina Standard Course of Study and the GCS curriculum. However, teachers use the Primary Years approach to organize and teach that curriculum through carefully planned and approved units of inquiry. The goal of the IB PYP is to develop learners who become inquirers, thinkers, communicators and risk-takers who are knowledgeable, principled, caring, open-minded and balanced.
How Does It Work?
A structured inquiry approach to learning is the basis of the program, whereby students learn to ask and formulate answers to meaningful questions. Teams of teachers, including art, music and physical education specialists, develop units of inquiry that provide significant, relevant and challenging learning experiences across the curriculum. Community service opportunities and activities promote caring and responsible attitudes among students.
For more information about the PYP, visit the IB website at www.ibo.org.
Spanish Instruction Grades K-5
In keeping with the international focus of PYP, students are required to learn a language other than the language used for instruction at their school. Falkener students receive instruction in Spanish twice weekly by two full-time Spanish teachers. Students benefit in multiple aspects: learning and developing the language, and exploring the cultures of Spanish-speaking nations.
Other Highlights Of Pyp
- IB Programme emphasizes active learning, using hands-on activities and project-based learning.
- Technology is valued at Falkener. With multiple computers in classrooms, Falkener also boasts two full computer labs and a full-time technology teacher. Falkener classrooms are fitted with current technology resources for daily use by teachers as well as students.
- DLFN, the “Dolphin News Program,” is recorded and produced daily by students and includes a daily PYP segment to reinforce the curriculum.
- A monthly focus is given to particular attributes and attitudes of the IB philosophy. Students learn how to recognize and exhibit qualities such as inquiry, open-mindedness, communication, creativity, balance, respect, empathy, appreciation, cooperation and independence.
- Varied extracurricular activities are organized to help support the IB philosophy and develop students’ inquiry-based learning.