Welcome To Third Grade
Hello Parents and Students,
I would like to take the opportunity to introduce myself and welcome you to third grade! I am Ms. Scott. I have been a teacher at Falkener since 2008. I am also a member of the Cape Lookout Pod and Arts & Crafts club at Falkener. I graduated and received my Bachelors of Arts and Masters from North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University. I am certified in K-6 Elementary Education and K-12 Reading. This is my 15th year in Education and 11th year at Falkener Elementary. I am a dedicated teacher to my students and families at Falkener! I am passionate about helping children succeed and achieving their goals! My interest and hobbies other than teaching include traveling, research, health/exercising, shopping, and music.
"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck."--- Dalai Lama
"Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second rate version of somebody else."--Judy Garland
"You become what you believe."---Oprah Winfrey
Current Unit of Studies
ELA: ARC Unit 1: ARC Literacy Lab- A Community of Reader & Writers
The first unit of ARC Core, students will fall in love with reading through books that are too good to resist, a community of peers who read and talk about books together. In this Unit, students will:
- As a class, read and discuss at least two grade-level novels from the same Magic Tree House series.
- Listen to above-level texts on the history and science behind the series.
- Write a new story for the Magic Tree House series and an informational text to accompany it.
- Read at least 30-60 minutes a day from self-selected texts.
- Write every day, for a variety of purposes and in a variety of modes.
- Practice applying a variety of grade-level standards to both reading and writing.
Math: Eureka Math: Module 1- Multiplication and the Meaning of the Factors
- Lesson 1- Students will be introduced to multiplication, starting with the concept of repeated addition.
- Lesson 2- Students will relate the equal groups of object to the array model.
- Lesson 3- Student model dividing a whole into equal groups.
Social Studies: We will explore how communities, people, and concepts have changed over time. Projects for this unit include: Timeline, brochure, and family interview.
Fun Facts About Ms. Scott
1. Summer is my favorite season.
2. My favorite childhood movie is Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory.
3. I enjoy traveling to new places.
4. I teach because I have the ability to help children achieve their best.
5. I swam in a cave in Mexico.
6. My favorite ice cream is Mint Chocolate Chip.
7. My favorite holiday is Valentine's Day.
8. My favorite children's book author is Chris Van Allsburg.
9. One of my favorite books is My Lucky Day by Keiko Kasza.