The first school located at 4720 Highway 150 east was named BROWN SUMMIT COLORED SCHOOL. The purpose of the building was to have a place to educate African American children from this area under one roof. Records indicate this building was constructed and completed using money from a Sears and Roebuck grant. The structure was built as a two teacher school that evolved into a six teacher school.
The layout of the school was brick consisting of six rooms, outdoor toilets and hot air heat. Over the years through the 1950’s, the building was modernized and 2 additional buildings were added; a cafeteria and a gymnasium. In the beginning, the school year ran from 6 to 8 months, attending students went from grades 1st to 7th and later the 8th grade was added. During the 1930’s, grades 9-11 were also added and the school name was changed to BROWN SUMMIT HIGH SCHOOL. A former student Mrs. Bettye Blackwell (Martin) was among the last class to graduate from the 11th grade (graduating class of 1945). The 12th grade was added when the school attendance requirement was set by the state of North Carolina. The school operated under these names for a total of (42 years) until school integration.
The school then became an elementary school that welcomed students of all races. Brown Summit Elementary was paired with Monticello Elementary. Students from both communities attended Brown Summit for kindergarten through second grade and Monticello for third through sixth grades. In 1987, the school board consolidated the two, making Brown Summit a K-5 school and closing Monticello. People in Monticello were upset when their community school closed, but then rallied around Brown Summit Elementary. Additions and renovations helped, but the school's 430 students eventually outgrew the space. In January 2000, students returned from their holiday break to a brand new elementary school about two miles down Hwy 150. The new school recognizes both communities in its name, Monticello-Brown Summit Elementary.
After Brown Summit Elementary closed, the buildings sat vacant for several years. In 2003, the school board chose the empty school as a location to expand its magnet schools program. Today, Brown Summit Middle (opened in 2004) is a magnet middle school with a focus on Advanced Academics. The original school buildings have been replaced and the name and grade levels may have changed, but the goal and purpose have always remained the same; to educate children!!
We hope you will view the "Photographs from the Past" slideshow.
To see the picture captions and descriptions,
click on the small "i" in the upper left corner of the first photograph.