Degrees and Certifications:
Mrs. Lauren Waterman
I am the school counselor at Falkener IB World School. As your child’s school counselor, I am concerned about his or her emotional well-being, academic progress, and personal and social development.
The mission of the Falkener IB PYP World School Counseling Program is to provide a comprehensive developmental program that will engage, educate, inspire and grow students academically, personally and socially as they become citizens of a global community.
I believe that...
• a child's emotional well-being is a priority that lays the foundation for academic, personal and social success.
• all children have dignity and worth and should be treated with respect.
• children thrive in environments in which they feel safe and respected.
• every child is unique and has personal strengths that can help them to achieve their potential.
• every child should have access to their school counselor.
• school counselors should work collaboratively with parents, staff and the community to advocate for children.
I have a master’s degree (MS) and specialist in education degree (EdS) in Counseling and Educational Development, specializing in school counseling, from The University of North Carolina at Greensboro. I live in Greensboro with my husband, two boys and dog. I enjoy music, cooking and spending time with family and friends.
- I visit classrooms for guidance lessons focusing on positive personal/social growth and academic success.
- I provide short-term individual and group counseling for students to help children deal with various issues.
- I provide crisis intervention for children faced with stressful events such as divorce, death, etc.
- I consult with school staff and parents to help support our students.
- I offer referral assistance to parents for other programs and services in the community.
- I coordinate the Intervention Support Team (IST), 504 referrals and the Positve Behavior Intervention Support (PBIS) program at Falkener.
- I am proud member of the Bodie Island POD!
"The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you!" B.B. King