What do I need to know to enroll my child?
All Guilford County Schools students must reside with a parent or court-appointed
legal guardian who is a district resident. Parents of students new to the district
will need to bring the following to their school's registration office,
regardless of the student's grade level.
(the same information is needed to enroll new kindergarten students):
- Certified copy of birth certificate
- Immunization records
- North Carolina Health Assessment Transmittal Form (required for any student K-12 enrolling
from outside of the state of North Carolina or from a private or charter school setting that does not
have a N.C. Health Assessment Transmittal Form on file and has not been previously enrolled in GCS )
- North Carolina General Statutes require that an Affidavit of Student in Good Standing click here for Spanish be completed by the parent or court-appointed guardian/custodian for any new student transferring to GCS from another school outside our district. This does not pertain to students who are transferring within GCS or for students who have never been enrolled in a public or private school (for instance, first-time kindergarten students or students that have always attended home school).
- Application for Enrollment
- Proof of residence/address (See acceptable forms of proof of residence below)
Acceptable Forms of Proof of Residence
Proof of address to verify the domicile of the parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian in ONE of the following forms:
- Current, original gas, oil, water or electric bill in the name of the parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian. (Telephone and cable television bills are not acceptable.)
- Official lease agreement in the name of the parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian.
- Driver's license (or State ID card from Department of Motor Vehicles) and voter registration card (obtain from the Board of Elections Office - not the Department of Motor Vehicles. DMV will not provide documentation of voter registration). These items must be in the name of the parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian.
- Driver's license (or State ID card) and car registration in the name of the parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian.
- Driver's license (or State ID card) and letter from employer verifying address of the parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian. Letter from employer must be on company letterhead.
- Driver's license (or State ID card) or voter registration card and Medicaid card in the name of the parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian.
Guilford County Schools will take care of requesting records from
your child's previous school.
Enrolling Students (Non-routine):
In the following instances, persons wishing to enroll students in Guilford County Schools should contact the Student Assignment Office for instructions:
- Student lives with individual other than parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/ custodian
- Student lives with one parent but wishes to attend school in the attendance zone of the other parent
- Parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian lives outside Guilford County and wishes student to attend Guilford County Schools
- Parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian is homeless or unable to obtain appropriate proof of address
- Student is at least 18 years of age and is financially independent
Kindergarten registration is held in the spring each year. Students who will be five years of age on or before August 31 should register at the elementary school he or she is assigned to, based on the domicile address of the parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian.