Rigorous College Program within a Traditional High School
Our program allows students access to a rigorous college-level course load while enjoying all the aspects of a traditional high school, such as Athletics, Cultural Arts, Career and Technical courses, and Clubs.
Why AP Capstone?
Ap Capstone™ Is a College Board Program That Equips Students with the Independent Research, Collaborative Teamwork, and Communication Skills That Are Increasingly Valued by Colleges. Ap Capstone Comprises Two Ap Courses [Ap Seminar and Ap Research] and Is Designed to Complement and Enhance the Discipline-specific Study in Other Ap Courses. https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/courses/ap-capstone
Flexible AP Course Selection:
- To earn the diploma, Capstone Students can pass any four AP exams they choose, in addition to the AP Seminar and AP Research exams.
- Over 20 AP courses offered.
- To earn the certificate, Capstone Students need to pass AP Seminar and AP Research Exams (Level 3 or higher).
What's the Difference?
- 85% of selective colleges and universities report that a student’s AP experience favorably impacts admission decisions.
- Research shows that students who receive a score of 3 or higher on AP Exams typically experience greater academic success in college and have higher graduation rates than their non-AP peers.
From the College Board Website (Click Here for More Information):
Need Help Deciding? Student testimonies attest to program experiences!
At Western, AP Capstone students build a community that is positive and supportive. Students have access to enriching opportunities like special lectures, field trips, college visits, service projects and more.
College Board Advanced Placement Capstone Program:
- We were the only AP Capstone program in North Carolina and only 1 of 114 schools nationally to be accepted the first year in 2014.
- Our first year we graduated 67% with Capstone Diplomas or Certificates
- Our second year we graduated 85% with Capstone Diplomas or Certificates
- Our 3rd year we graduated 86% with Capstone Diplomas or Certificates
- Goal: Service Learning Diploma (250 hours)
- Expectation: Service-Learning Award (100 hours)