Welcome to Hairston Middle School’s IB webpage! Here you will find information about our IB MYP Program and other pertinent information.
Hairston Middle is an International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program where our students receive a global education. We continue to strive for excellence with urban schools and urban school students as we partner with students, parents and the community to create a global, international mindedness, caring and nurturing learning environment.
At Hairston, students develop the knowledge, understanding, attitudes and skills necessary to actively and responsibly participate in a changing world through the following:
- 3 years of a foreign language
- Technology-based instruction − STEM integration
- Career & Technical Education courses
- Visual and Performing Arts courses
- Service-learning opportunities
- IB/MYP Project
- Clubs and organizations such as: Band, Chess, Robotics, Dance, Battle of the Books, Student Council, Community in Schools and Mentorships
- Parent, Teacher, Student Association of Hairston Middle School (PTSA)
- Athletics– Basketball, Cheerleading, Football, Track, Volleyball, Soccer, & Wrestling
Hairston Mission Statement:
Our mission is to unify families and members of the community to destroy ALL barriers and systems of oppression by utilizing an antiracist teaching along with cultural responsiveness so that student voice is amplified through international mindedness as we prepare social justice agents of change.
IB Mission Statement:
IB mission statement The International Baccalaureate aims to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect. To this end the organization works with schools, governments and international organizations to develop challenging programs of international education and rigorous assessment. These programs encourage students across the world to become active, compassionate and lifelong learners who understand that other people, with their differences, can also be right.