CTE prepares all students for high skill, high wage or in-demand careers. The experience begins with career inspiration in Pre-K, awareness in elementary school, exploration in middle school, and preparation in high school. CTE equips students for post-secondary education and immediate employment opportunities to successfully compete worldwide.High school students involved in CTE are more engaged, perform better and graduate at higher rates.
- Taking one CTE class for every two academic classes minimizes the risk of students dropping out of high school.
- The average high school graduation rate for students concentrating in CTE programs is 93 percent, compared to an average national freshman graduation rate of 80 percent.
- 91 percent of high school graduates who earned 2-3 CTE credits enrolled in college.
NC Top Growth Sectors:
- NC ranks 2nd in the nation in Information Technologies. IT has grown 26% since 2010.
- Software and Telecommunications sector have grown 38% during past five years.
- NC Automotive grew 25% during past 5 years
- NC ranks #2 for STEM program completion in U.S.
- NC is a leading state for STEM job growth.
- NC’s Biotech cluster has grown 31% since 2001.
- Raleigh ranks No. 2 & Durham ranks No. 3 as Most Educated Cities in America.
- NC is 7th best state for Aerospace Manufacturing
- CTE and skilled-trades are needed which accounts for 65% of all careers