Welcome to Hornet Nation
Educational athletics is important because of the human development and growth of our student athletes. Athletics is a privilege afforded to our student-athletes and it should enrich the academic educational experience. As an Athletic Director, I believe that athletics is important to the development of the entire student-athlete, and it connects the community to the school. Athletics teaches discipline, encourages diversity, and provides an extension of the classroom to prepare student-athletes for life after high school. As you go through your high school journey, we hope that you will develop lifelong relationships and have a rewarding athletic experience while you are at Western Guilford High School. I look forward to working with you and your family this school year. -Jerrod Harris, Athletic Director
Western Guilford High School Athletics General Information
At Western Guilford High School, we offer a variety of different sports for our student body. To participate in any school athletic activity including summer or off-season workouts, all athletes must have a current physical on the approved NCHSAA physical form along with a signed concussion Gfeller Waller form to participate. Physicals expire 13 months after the date of the exam. All athletic paperwork will be collected in Dragonfly, an online platform for athletic eligibility. To sign up for Dragonfly click on this link: http://dragonflymax.com/forms/AR3UE6
Fall Sports: begin the 1st Monday of August
Winter Sports: begin the last week of October
Spring Sports: begin the second week of February
- Athletic eligibility is based on the students’ academic performance during the previous semester.
- Students in grades 10-12 must earn a weighted GPA of 2.0 or higher during the semester immediately prior to the semester of athletic participation.
- Students must pass a minimum load 5 of 6 classes.
- First year freshmen do not have a GPA requirement for the first semester of the 9th grade but must earn a GPA of 1.50 or higher during the first semester to be eligible for the second semester of the 9th grade.
- In order to be eligible for athletic participation, students must have been in daily attendance 85% of the previous semester.
If there are any questions, please refer to the list of coaches on the Athletic Homepage.