To increase the success of all GCS students through effective mental health services.
The Mental Health Department strives to increase student success through education, prevention, and intervention with quality substance-use and mental health services.
What is Mental Health?
- Mental health is an important part of overall health and well-being
- Mental health includes our emotional, psychological, and social well-being.
- It affects how we think, feel, and act
- Determines how we handle stress, relate to others and make healthy choices
- Mental health is part of overall strength and wellness
What is Mental Illness?
- Conditions that affect a person’s thinking, feelings, mood or behavior
- Bipolar Disorder
What is trauma?
Trauma defined by SAHMSA is “Events or circumstances experienced by an individual as physically or emotionally harmful or life-threatening, which result in adverse effects on the individual’s functioning and well-being.”
What is Behavioral Health?
Behavioral health is the scientific study of the emotions and behaviors related to a person’s mental well-being. Their ability to function in everyday life and their concept of self. A person struggling with his or her behavioral health may face:
- Relationship problems
- Or learning disabilities, mood disorders, or other psychological concerns