What is PBIS?
Positive Behavior Interventions and Support (PBIS) is a research-based framework for teaching and supporting positive behaviors for ALL students. This school-wide approach to discipline focuses on building a safe and positive environment in which all students can learn. The benefits of implementing PBIS include:
- Fewer behavior issues
- More instructional time
- Better attendance for student success
The foundation of PBIS in the Guilford County School District lies in the three fundamental expectations at all of our schools.
- Be Respectful
- Be Responsible
- Be Safe
In addition to these behavior expectations, PBIS has five other components:
- Behavior matrix which explains specific behavior expectations in each school setting
- Direct teaching of the expectations
- PBIS acknowledgment system to recognize appropriate behavior
- Behavior reporting forms to record and address inappropriate behaviors
- Data collection to decide on further lessons and other interventions