¡Hola! Soy el Sr. Espinoza, and I am your Spanish teacher. I am originally from Chile, South-America, so I have spoken Spanish since I was born (well, not “literally”, but you get the idea).
I have a bachelor’s degree in education from the Universidad de Ciencias de la Educación in Santiago, Chile and a master’s degree in TESOL from Greensboro College. I have been part of GCS teaching Spanish and English as a second language at all grade levels since 2004, and I have been a proud member of the Early Middle College @GTCC Jamestown family since 2021.
Why should I learn a second language?
In an interconnected, 21st century world, being able to speak a second language allows us to connect with each other, understand other people’s cultures, and communicate effectively in business and social settings. This is especially true for young people who will be required to perform and develop professionally in any given area as global citizens.
- There are over 400 million Spanish speakers world-wide.
- With more than 33 million speakers, Spanish is the second largest language in the United States.
- Hispanics are the largest minority in the United States, with the majority of them being Spanish speakers.
- Also, Latin American countries are our most important trading partners.
- If you speak Spanish, you'll be better able to communicate with Spanish speakers. Because of that, being bilingual greatly enhances your resume, increasing your chances to get better jobs than monolingual peers with similar qualifications.
You can access your current Spanish course in our Canvas class page.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any question. My email is firstname.lastname@example.org.