The Kearns Academy Pathways
The Kearns Academy Health Sciences program is designed for students interested in a career as a health-care professional. Students are introduced to the health field, the concepts of personal, family and community health and disease control through classroom instruction, case studies, hands-on activities, interactive computer modules and internships. Health Science students learn:
• Medical terminology and abbreviations
• Human anatomy and physiology
• Risk factors for all body systems
• Tools for recognizing diseases related to all body systems
• Behaviors that keep the systems of the body healthy
• Trends in health care
• Legal and ethical issues related to the medical field and
• Healthcare career options related to each body system
Health Science students, under the supervision of their teacher, will complete internships in which they work with patients in a medical facility. Students also have the opportunity to earn the Certified Nursing Assistant I certification and the Pharmacy Technician certification.
The Information Technology program at the Academy is designed to prepare students for a career in the medical IT field or other IT-related field. Information Technology professionals are needed in doctors’ offices, hospitals, nursing homes and other health care facilities in increasing numbers. By using the Microsoft
IT Academy program, students can be certified in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Publisher) and earn professional level certifications in Computer Science. IT students learn:
- Advanced functionality in core Office applications
- Design and implementation of databases especially as related to the medical field
- Visual Basic and C# programming languages and how to create games and applications for Windows, Xbox, and Windows Phone
- Hands on experience with programming other machines such as robots and game consoles.
- Critical and logical thinking skills that can be applied to any subject area
Students complete the program prepared for a career in application development and an excellent base in game design and coding.