Welcome to Southern Guilford Middle School's Media Center!Fall Book Fair!Shop our Fall Scholastic Book Fair! The Fair will be in the media center from November 12th through the 18th. You can also shop online: Southern Middle Book Fair Online purchases ship to the school for free and will be delivered to your homeroom.All Book Fair purchases help Mr. Williamson buy new and exciting books for the Southern Middle's media center book collection.
Mr. Williamson, Media Specialist
Destiny Click to access the Destiny Catalog and eBooks. You will need to select Southern Guilford Middle School.
New Books are always arriving at Southern Middle! Ask Mr. Williamson what's new!
2018-2019 Battle of the Books Team
See Mr. Williamson for information about joining Battle of the Books!
Getting started with Research:
What is MLA Style?
MLA (Modern Language Association) style is most commonly used to write papers and cite sources within the liberal arts and humanities.
MLA Style establishes standards of written communication concerning:
- formatting and page layout
- stylistic technicalities (e.g. abbreviations, footnotes, quotations)
- citing sources
preparing a manuscript for publication in certain disciplines
Why Use MLA?
Using MLA Style properly makes it easier for readers to navigate and comprehend a text by providing familiar cues when referring to sources and borrowed information. Editors and instructors also encourage everyone to use the same format so there is consistency of style within a given field. Abiding by MLA's standards as a writer will allow you to:
- Provide your readers with cues they can use to follow your ideas more efficiently and to locate information of interest to them
- Allow readers to focus more on your ideas by not distracting them with unfamiliar or complicated formatting
- Establish your credibility or ethos in the field by demonstrating an awareness of your audience and their needs as fellow researchers (particularly concerning the citing of references)
- Avoid plagiarism
This information reflects the MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers (7th ed.) and the MLA Style Manual and Guide to Scholarly Publishing (3rd ed.)
Source: The Purdue OWL. Purdue U Writing Lab, 2010. Web. 7 November 2013.
How do I cite my sources using MLA Style?
Use the following web tools to help you get started:
Citation Machine (www.citationmachine.net)
Easy Bib (www.easybib.com)
Knight Cite (www.knightcite.com)
Sample Career Research Paper created by Mr. Williamson
How to Cite from Coin Career Library (NCWise Owl's High School Zone)