The purpose of the School Counseling Program is to facilitate the positive development of each student’s unique learning, emotional, social, and physical characteristics. Services are directed toward student growth in academic, personal/social and career development. School counselors work toward mitigating barriers for students as it relates to their academic success and decreasing the achievement gap.
School counselors are charged with answering the question "How are students different as a result of school counseling programs, interventions, and service delivery?" School counselors deliver a comprehensive school counseling program by adhering to the following North Carolina Professional School Counseling Standards.
Standard 1: Demonstrate leadership, advocacy and collaboration.
Standard 2: Promote A Respectful Environment for A Diverse Population of Students
Standard 3: Understand and Facilitate the Implementation of a Comprehensive School Counseling Program
Standard 4: Promote Learning For All Students
Standard 5: Actively Reflect on Their Practice
Students are assigned to school counselors by their last name, please see the information in the right-hand column to find your child's counselor.
How a student may make an appointment with a counselor:
- Students may drop in any time before school, after school, during their lunch or in an emergency situation.
- If the situation is not an emergency or the counselor is unavailable, students should complete a School Counselor's Request Form (for their specific counselor). The school counselor will respond to student as soon as possible.
- Parents may call the Counseling Office to request an appointment at 336-454-7405 or email their student's school counselor (emails can be found on the School Counseling webpage).
To stay abreast of important information:
- Please go to the Ragsdale School website
- Click on Counseling Services at the bottom of page or Student Services at the top of page for important/helpful information.
- Join the Ragsdale School Counseling Remind group for your student's specific grade level.
Rising 12th grade = Text @ragsdale12 to 81010
Rising 11th grade = Text @ragsdale11 to 81010
Rising 10th grade = Text @ragsdale10 to 81010
Rising 9th grade = Text @ragsdale09 to 81010
Review of student records:
- The Counseling Department adheres to all of the regulations concerning student records as defined by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. Parents may review records by appointment.
Student Services Staff
Dr. Karen Meadows
School Counselor, Last Names (A-C)
Mrs. Leslie Deaton
School Counselor, Last Names D - H
Ms. Rebecca Wiles
School Counselor, Last Names I - M
Dr. Lonnie Smith
School Counselor, Last Names N - S
Mrs. Gina Reid
School Counselor, Last Names T - Z
Mrs. Amy Whitley
Career Development Coach
Mrs. Di Hicks
Mr. Cliff Jackson
School Social Worker
Mrs. Melissa Quick