Murphey Traditional Academy was built in 1956, at a cost of $280,766.19. The school opened its doors with 12 classrooms and 300 students. There have since been two additions. The first Principal was Miss Ailene Beeson, who would serve Murphey for the next 15 years. The school was named after Archibald Debow Murphey, who is known in North Carolina history as "The Father of Common School."
Murphey became a Traditional Magnet in 1992.
Our school Mascot is the Patriot and our school colors are Red, White and Blue.