Principal-- Chiyanna Young firstname.lastname@example.org
Florence Elementary School Hours: 7:00am-4:00pm
Student hours: 7:20am-2:30pm
The history of Florence village is rich with education and community. The village of Florence was chartered May 26, 1859, some 50 years before High Point was chartered. A school, originally known as Florence Female Academy, was housed in a brick building built in 1853. Dormitories were included in that original brick structure.
The advent of the railroad line, which sparked High Point's growth, caused the Florence village to fade. The school faded with it.
In 1914, the Florence Rosenwald School was built beside the Florence Methodist Church, near the site of today's Florence Elementary School. In 1929, a new building was erected that stood until 1982. That original school was predominantly black and served students from Jamestown, Colfax, Poplar, Terra Cotta, Friendship and the Deep River communities. The year was 1928, and the cost to build the school was $18,240. The school had four classrooms plus a library and a 160 seat auditorium. There was no indoor plumbing.
A cafeteria was added in 1947, built entirely through parent support. Two additional annexes were added in 1974. In 1974, Florence was paired with Millis Road school to offer K-2 and 3-5 classes (Florence was K-2).
According to a newspaper account from the Jamestown News & Guilford Gazette, dated April 22, 1982, there was very little hostility during the integration process. Shortly after integration was mandated by the Supreme Court, Florence hosted the first federally funded Kindergarten in the area. A lottery was necessary to determine which students could be a part of those early Kindergarten classes.
As the community around Florence School has grown, so has the number of students at Florence and the number of parents and school supporters who help make the school a great place to learn!