• Madison Elementary

     SLT Minutes  September 11th, 2018, 2:30pm:

    I. Attendance Team Members:  Regina Ambrose, Karen Cermak‐Serfass, Alexis Gregory, Penny Loschin, Erin Morgan, Jessica Nelson, Carrie Page, Valerie Pinnx, Dirk Robertson, Angie Shoffner Guests: 

    II. Celebrate recent successes

    III. Review and respond to coaching comments

    IV. Approval of last meeting's minutes

    V. Old Business

    VI. Indicators to Assess‐Create‐Monitor Indicators Assessed Objectives Planned For A1.07 ALL teachers will employ effective classroom management and reinforce classroom rules and procedures by positively teaching them. (5088) A2.04 Instructional Teams will develop standards‐aligned units of instruction for each subject and grade level. (5094) A4.01 The school will implement a ered instructional system that allows teachers to deliver evidence‐based instruction aligned with the individual needs of students across all tiers. (5117) A4.06 ALL teachers will be attend to students' emotional states, guide students in managing their emotions, and arrange for supports and interventions when necessary. (5124) B1.01 The LEA will have an LEA Support & Improvement Team. (5135) B1.03 A Leadership Team will consist of the principal, teachers who lead the Instructional Teams, and other professional staff meet regularly (at least twice a month) to review implementation of effective practices. (5137) B3.03 The principal will monitor curriculum and classroom instruction regularly and provides clear, constructive feedback to teachers. (5149) C2.01 The LEA/School will regularly look at school performance data and aggregated classroom observation data and uses that data to make decisions about school improvement and professional development needs. (5159)

     C3.04 The LEA/School will establish a system of procedures and protocols for recruiting, evaluating, rewarding, and replacing staff. (5168) E1.06 The school will regularly communicate with parents/guardians about its expectations of them and the importance of the curriculum of the home (what parents can do at home to support their children's learning). (5182) Monitor (updates made) Reviewed Key Indicators/Action Steps and created new Acon Steps and/or decided to continue with some Acon Steps from previous school year. 

    VII. Other Business Action Taken: Discussed Celebration of Excellence ‐ Staff attending and several of our students participating as paparazzi.

    VIII. Next Meeting Date: 09/27/2018 Time: 2:30pm Title: Monthly Meeting Location: Conference Room

    IX. Adjourn 4:30pm

     

    SLT Minutes  August 15th, 2018, 1pm:

    I. Attendance Team Members:  Regina Ambrose, Kathy Anderson, Karen Cermak‐Serfass, Alexis Gregory, Penny Loschin, Erin Morgan, Jessica Nelson, Carrie Page, Dirk Robertson, Angie Shoffner Guests: 

    II. Celebrate recent successes

    III. Review and respond to coaching comments

    IV. Approval of last meeting's minutes

    V. Old Business

    VI. Indicators to Assess‐Create‐Monitor Indicators Assessed Objectives Planned For Monitor (updates made)

    VII. Other Business Acon Taken: Received additional Title I Funding ‐ able to purchase another position ‐ able to dissolve a K/1 Combination class.  Monthly SLT meetings held third Thursday of each month. ILT meetings held 2nd Tuesday each month. ILT‐Shared purpose ‐to drive instruction: Made up of Nelson, Tilley and White ‐ (Amended a two day training.)

    VIII. Next Meeting Date:  Time:  Title:  Location:

    IX. Adjourn

    SLT Minutes April 26th, 2018:

     

    Attendance
    Team Members:
    Regina Ambrose, Karen Cermak‐Serfass, Alexis Gregory, Penny Loschin, Erin Morgan, Jessica Nelson,
    Carrie Page, Valerie Pinnx, Dirk Robertson, Angie Shoffner
    Guests: Ashley Gordon (school counselor)
    II. Celebrate recent successes
    III. Review and respond to coaching comments
    IV. Approval of last meeting's minutes
    Nelson read the minutes from the last meeting. A motion was made by Tilley to accept the minutes
    and a second from Morgan.
    V. Old Business
    VI. Indicators to Assess‐Create‐Monitor
    Indicators Assessed
    B2.03
    The school has established a team structure among teachers with specific duties and time for
    instructional planning. (5143)
    E1.06
    The school regularly communicates with parents/guardians about its expectations of them and
    the importance of the curriculum of the home (what parents can do at home to support their
    children's learning). (5182)
    Objectives Planned For
    Monitor (updates made)
    VII. Other Business
    Action Taken:
    We are in need of 2 parent representatives on SLT for the 2018‐19 school year. Ms Milner is no longer
    a grandparent of a Madison student and Ms. Jones will no longer have a student at Madison, her
    daughter is a 5th grader. We are unsure of what Ms. Harrison's plan is as far as continuing as a
    member of SLT.
    PTA Spring Fling planned for May 19th. Volunteers are needed to help with the various time frames:

    SLT MINUTES March 6th, 2018

    Below are copied minutes for meetings prior to March 6th:

    Meeting Minutes
    Meeting Date: 11/14/2017 ‐ 2:45pm
    Title: Monthly SLT Meeting
    Location: Conference Room
    I. Attendance
    Team Members:
    Regina Ambrose, Kathy Anderson, Karen Cermak‐Serfass, Penny Loschin, Alta Milner,
    Erin Morgan, Jessica Nelson, Carrie Page, Valerie Pinnx, Dirk Robertson, Angie
    Shoffner
    Guests:
    II. Celebrate recent successes
    III. Review and respond to coaching comments
    No comments posted
    IV. Approval of last meetings' minutes
    Nelson read the minutes from 10/26/17, Page made a motion to accept, Anderson gave a second, all
    agreed to accept the minutes.
    V. Old Business
    VI. Indicators to Assess‐Create‐Monitor
    Indicators Assessed
    Objectives Planned For
    Monitor (updates made)
    E1.06 ‐ Title I Night tonight: PTA officers will be inducted tonight prior to our Science Night. Parents
    and students will then make their way to the classrooms (based on their grade level) for the Mad
    Science demonstrations and activities. Encourage parents to visit the Book Fair and join our PTA.
    A4.01 ‐ Robertson shared GCS Reads 30 data for September and October and AR data for the first
    quarter.
    VII. Other Business
    Action Taken:
    School was invited to attend Wake Forest Women's Basketball game on December 18th.
    Team decided to have all grade levels attend.
    School website has been updated

     

    MEETING MINUTES 12.5.17  2:45 Conference Room

     

    I. Attendance
    Team Members:
    Karen Cermak‐Serfass, Alexis Gregory, Penny Loschin, Erin Morgan, Jessica Nelson, Carrie Page, Valerie
    Pinnx, Dirk Robertson, Angie Shoffner
    Guests:
    II. Celebrate recent successes
    III. Review and respond to coaching comments
    No coaching comments
    IV. Approval of last meeting's minutes
    Nelson read the minutes from the November 30, 2017 meeting. Tilley made a motion to accept the
    minutes, Shoffner gave a second. All accepted the minutes as read.
    V. Old Business
    VI. Indicators to Assess‐Create‐Monitor
    Indicators Assessed
    Objectives Planned For
    Monitor (updates made)
    VII. Other Business
    Action Taken:
    Team Building activity from New Leaders Meeting (Community Builder Four Directions). A way of
    understanding individual differences and group strengths.
    VIII. Next Meeting
    Date: 12/14/2017
    Time: 2:45pm
    Title: Monthly SLT Meeting
    Location: Conference Room
    IX. Adjourn
    3:38pm

    MEETING 12.14.17

    I. Attendance
    Team Members:
    Regina Ambrose, Karen Cermak‐Serfass, Alexis Gregory, Erin Morgan, Jessica Nelson, Valerie Pinnx,
    Dirk Robertson, Angie Shoffner
    Guests:
    II. Celebrate recent successes
    III. Review and respond to coaching comments
    IV. Approval of last meeting's minutes
    Mrs. Nelson read the minutes from the 12/5/17 meeting. Tilley made a motion to accept the
    minutes, Morgan seconded the motion, and all agreed to accept the minutes as read.
    V. Old Business
    Nelson asked the team to help brainstorm ways to increase PTA memberships. The team agreed to
    help come up with ways, but had a couple of questions.
    1. Are we needing the increase because they need the money? Or do they need people to help
    within PTA?
    2. If it is money that is needed, is there a possibility of offering scholarships for PTA memberships?
    Loschin has asked that someone volunteer to create a parent survey in order to make a decision
    about the best time to hold our 2018‐2019 Open House. The team decided that they would like to
    survey the staff first and then use those results to create a parent survey. Mr. Robertson
    volunteered to create a survey.
    VI. Indicators to Assess‐Create‐Monitor
    Indicators Assessed
    The school regularly communicates with parents/guardians about its expectations of them and

    E1.06 the importance of the curriculum of the home (what parents can do at home to support their
    children's learning). (5182)
    Objectives Planned For
    Monitor (updates made)
    Continuing to monitor PTA membership ‐ parent involvement:
    Currently have the following in memberships: parents: 46 staff: 19 total: 65
    Very low membership considering have 236 students currently enrolled.
    VII. Other Business
    Action Taken:
    VIII. Next Meeting
    Date:
    Time:
    Title:
    Location:
    IX. Adjourn
    3:15pm

    MEETING 1/25/18  Conference Room 2:45

    I. Attendance
    Team Members:
    Regina Ambrose, Kathy Anderson, Karen Cermak‐Serfass, Alexis Gregory, Daniella Harrison, Penny
    Loschin, Erin Morgan, Jessica Nelson, Carrie Page, Valerie Pinnx, Dirk Robertson, Angie Shoffner
    Guests: Ms. Gordon (school counselor)
    II. Celebrate recent successes
    Mrs. Adkins and Mrs. Morgan received bonuses for their test scores being in the top 25% of the
    district. Mrs. Adkins received this for math and Mrs. Morgan for Reading.
    III. Review and respond to coaching comments
    Mrs. Loschin shared positive feedback from DeAnna Foust‐Plati in reference to our SIP.
    IV. Approval of last meetings minutes
    Nelson read the minutes from the December 14, 2017 meeting. Anderson made a motion to accept
    the minutes, Tilley made a second, and all members accepted the minutes as recorded.
    V. Old Business
    VI. Indicators to Assess‐Create‐Monitor
    Indicators Assessed
    Objectives Planned For
    Monitor (updates made)
    VII. Other Business
    Action Taken:
    B2.03 SLT representatives were provided with another copy of the Madison Duty and Committee
    sheet from the opening staff meeting in August. All staff need to be at their assigned duty on time (or
    a few minutes early) and need to be sure they have coverage for any of their assigned duties in the
    event of an absence. Committee meetings should be attended. As a small school, we have to be
    Madison Elementary
    Meeting Minutes
    Meeting Date: 01/25/2018 ‐ 2:45pm
    Title: Monthly SLT Meeting
    Location: Conference Room
    Page 1

    willing to work to make sure all necessary committee positions and site based duties are filled. These
    have been distributed based on the survey each staff member completed at the end of last year and
    were divided equally among all staff.
    B3.03 Loschin shared that the second round of observations are well underway. Mid‐year PDP
    updates are due to Loschin by January 31st in order to be approved by her and meet the district
    deadline for submission.
    A1.07 Loschin shared school‐wide discipline data for August through January.
    A2.04 We have completed our first 3 sessions for Guide to Transformational Framework during staff
    meetings and we can add those dates to our SIP.
    A4.01 Robertson shared that he has processed the culturally relevant texts that were ordered. He is
    working with Ms. Gordon (school counselor) to determine the best way to distribute these to staff
    and students. He will work on preparing a plan to present to the staff about the use of these texts.
    He has already shared a few of these books with a student after discussing with a parent and getting
    her permission to send them home.
    A4.01 Page provided complete on dates for 4th and 5th grade Science Day, ARC coaching days, ERG
    math coaching days, Guiding Reading coaching days, K/1 CKLA district PD, and Comprehension
    Strategies Book PD to add to our SIP.
    E1.06 Robertson shared a draft of a Parent Survey to solicit parent input on our 2018‐2019 Open
    House day and time. The team discussed at length the options provided and determined that the
    dates/times on the survey will be Thursday, June 23 from 5‐7, Friday, June 24 from 12‐2, and Friday,
    June 24 from 5‐7. It was decided to add a lunch time option in order to give parents a day time option,
    but during a lunch break. This was suggested by a parent rep.
    C2.01 Data will be shared at the next SLT meeting for 3‐5 Reading, Math, and Science Interims and K‐3
    DIBELS. Intervention plans developed on Teacher Data days.
    VIII. Next Meeting
    Date:
    Time:
    Title:
    Location:
    Page 2

    MEETING 2.6.18

    Attendance
    Team Members:
    Regina Ambrose, Kathy Anderson, Karen Cermak‐Serfass, Penny Loschin, Erin Morgan, Jessica Nelson,
    Valerie Pinnx, Dirk Robertson, Angie Shoffner
    Guests: Ashley Gordon school counselor
    II. Celebrate recent successes
    New part time custodian (Leslie Walker) will start next week and her hours will be 1:30‐5:30
    PTA received a $1000 Spice Grant and are planning on a community day in the spring
    III. Review and respond to coaching comments
    No feedback to share
    IV. Approval of last meeting's minutes
    Nelson read the minutes from the 1/25/18 meeting, Morgan made a motion to accept the minutes,
    Ambrose made a second, all were in favor of accepting them as read.
    V. Old Business
    VI. Indicators to Assess‐Create‐Monitor
    Indicators Assessed
    A4.01
    The school implements a tiered instructional system that allows teachers to deliver evidence based
    instruction aligned with the individual needs of students across all tiers. (5117)
    C2.01
    The LEA/School regularly looks at school performance data and aggregated classroom
    observation data and uses that data to make decisions about school improvement and
    professional development needs. (5159)
    E1.06
    The school regularly communicates with parents/guardians about its expectations of them and
    the importance of the curriculum of the home (what parents can do at home to support their
    children's learning). (5182)

    VII. Other Business
    Action Taken:
    Positive Behavior Committee: Pinnix shared data from 2nd quarter Mustang Ticket data, mainly
    focusing on the locations the tickets were earned. We are in need of more volunteers for School
    Store and donations are being accepted. Make sure your class is on time for school store, based on
    the schedule provided.
    Student Leadership: The students are doing a great job on the Friday announcements! The new flag
    schedule started this week for student leadership representatives.
    Service Learning Project: Student Leadership will be making boxes for classes and students. Trying to
    secure a date for a speaker to come and talk to the students. Collection will take place March 5th‐
    23rd and teachers will be responsible for writing a collection report for the money collected. There
    will be a prize for the class with the most money if we collect $750 or more. The committee will be
    meeting again on February 8th.
    Read Across America: The main concern at this time is securing volunteers. Class lists are due to Mrs.
    Morgan by this Friday and plans are due next Friday.
    GCS Read 30: Robertson shared GCS Winter Break Reading, William Watkins was the winner of $25
    gift card. Will present this to him at awards program. Our November/December GCS Reads
    celebration went well and we have others planned. The celebration for January/February will be held
    March 6th.
    Open House Survey: The survey is ready to go home to parents, copies were provided to the team.
    Further discussion followed to determine and finalized the date/time options. It was determined the
    2 options would be Thursday, August 23rd from 5‐7 and Friday, August 24th from 4‐6.
    PTA Updates: The PTA board will have to work through changes among themselves based on Mr.
    Purketi no longer being a Madison parent. The legalities of serving on the board will be reviewed in
    order to make decision on what needs to be done.
    New Grant Writing Policies: Loschin shared that prior approval and a specific form must be
    completed prior to writing any grants. Donor's Choice is now the only option for soliciting donations,
    Go Fund Me and Kiva are no longer allowed to be used.
    Changes to school grading: Loschin shared that in addition to our school letter grade, we will now
    receive letter grades for our subgroups as well, such as SWD, ESL, and EDS.
    K‐1 CKLA Early World Civilization Unit: There has been some mention of possible parent concerns in
    Page 2 of

    regards to the content of the unit. Talking points have been provided in order to help navigate
    through parent concerns.
    Interim Data: 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade teachers have analyzed their Interim 2 class and student data.
    They have identified red, yellow, and green students and created intervention and reteaching plans.
    Our EC and AG staff have access to this information as well. We have some extremely low scores that
    are unacceptable and should not occur. What else can we do to help out in order to motivate and
    move these students? Brainstorm some ideas to bring back to the next meeting 2/22/18.
    Concerns from the team:
    Gordon mentioned the wearing of hoods in the building. The school‐wide expectation was reviewed
    and the team was asked to share with their department and students as a reminder.
    Diversity Books: Robertson gave a brief overview of the Culturally Relevant Text that he has ordered
    and processed for circulation. There is a plan in place to buy more text with Spring book fair money.
    He will share this information and these books at our next staff meeting. on 2/20/18.
    Loschin requested that we make sure to send a letter home to parents ahead of time for any sensitive
    issues/material that may be covered in class. This should be approved by Loschin and will give notice
    to the parents and allow them to opt out their student from the lesson.
    Cermak shared that Elizabeth Wooten is trying to reboot the Garden Project. She shared what
    Madison had done with the program when we participated.
    VIII. Next Meeting
    Date:
    Time:
    Title:
    Location:
    IX. Adjourn
    3:51pm

     

    MEETING 2/22/18 2:45 Conference Room

    I. Attendance
    Team Members:
    Regina Ambrose, Kathy Anderson, Daniella Harrison, Joy Jones, Erin Morgan, Jessica Nelson, Valerie
    Pinnx, Dirk Robertson, Angie Shoffner
    Guests:
    II. Celebrate recent successes
    III. Review and respond to coaching comments
    No coaching comments to share
    IV. Approval of last meeting's minutes
    Nelson read the minutes from the 2/6/18 meeting. It was noted that the SPICE grant that the PTA
    received was in the amount of $800, not $1000. Robertson made a motion to accept the minutes and
    Anderson seconded the motion. All were in agreement to accept the minutes.
    V. Old Business
    VI. Indicators to Assess‐Create‐Monitor
    Indicators Assessed
    A2.04
    Instructional Teams develop standards‐aligned units of instruction for each subject and grade
    level. (5094)
    A4.01
    The school implements a tiered instructional system that allows teachers to deliver evidence based
    instruction aligned with the individual needs of students across all tiers. (5117)
    E1.06
    The school regularly communicates with parents/guardians about its expectations of them and
    the importance of the curriculum of the home (what parents can do at home to support their
    children's learning). (5182)
    Objectives Planned For
    Monitor (updates made)
    Madison Elementary
    Meeting Minutes
    Meeting Date: 02/22/2018 ‐ 2:45pm
    Title: Monthly Meeting
    Location: Conference Room
    Page 1 of 3

    VII. Other Business
    Action Taken:
    Open House: Robertson shared the results of the parent survey with the team. 45 parents were in
    favor of having our 2018‐19 Open House on Thursday, August 23rd from 5‐7 PM and 22 were in favor
    of Friday, August 24th from 4‐6 PM. Only 2 comments were written in. The team unanimously
    decided to schedule the 2018‐19 Open House on Thursday, August 23rd from 5‐7 PM.
    Positive Behavior Committee: We are still in need of monetary donations to purchase items or items
    to be placed in the school store. Pinnix spoke with the cafeteria manager about giving out Mustang
    Tickets and she said she would try her best to do so. The cafeteria staff is very inconsistent right now
    and that is making it difficult. The committee meets again on March 1st.
    Conferences: Loschin wanted to remind everyone that we are to hold a face to face conference with
    each parent during the 3rd quarter. There are no workdays, so be mindful in planning a schedule that
    will allow time to meet with each family.
    Interim Data: Team members brought their suggestions for increasing 3‐5 student achievement.
    These ideas were asked to be written, so Nelson collected for future discussion on this topic.
    Grant Writing: Robertson asked that we remind everyone of the email he sent this week regarding
    grant writing and the list of available grants from the county. Anderson reiterated the need to submit
    designated forms for pre‐approval.
    PTA: Mrs. Harrison shared that there will be a general announcement made at the school talent show
    on March 13th inviting everyone to a full body PTA meeting on March 15th. This meeting will be
    about the Spring Fling and SPICE Grant Community Day. Our next skate night is April 10th. PTA will
    be donating the funds for the March Terrific Kids program. Ms. Charles' class will receive a Popsicle
    party for being the skate night winners this month.
    Robertson: It was mentioned again by a staff member about our need for speakers. We are
    no longer receiving new computers, so speakers will probably be even more necessary. He
    is working with Anderson to see about getting speakers.
    Student Leadership: The decision was made to postpone Love for Leukemia until April.
    There is a lot going on in March, Jump Rope for Heart and 4/5 will be gone for part of the
    original time period.
    Robertson: We need to send out another reminder about not propping open outside doors.
    Yesterday the door outside of Nelson's room, leading to the K2
    playground, was propped
    open with a cinder block and Mr. Bittle was called to address it. It was asked if there was a
    better answer to this problem, such as all staff receiving a key that works an outside door.
    Page 2

    VIII. Next Meeting
    Date: 03/06/2018
    Time: 2:45pm
    Title: Monthly Meeting
    Location: Conference Room
    IX. Adjourn
    3:06pm