Degrees and Certifications:
Mr. Ron Luciano
August 12, 2021
Dear Jones families,
Welcome to the start of the 2021-2022 school year. We are so excited to have your child with us at David D. Jones Elementary school!
We have had a very busy and productive summer!
A few highlights:
- We have completed our work to upgrade the technology at Jones. All our regular classrooms are now equipped with:
- Epson 685 Brightlink Projectors
- Apple TV connections for all K-3 classes
- Lumens DC193 Document Cameras
- Lightspeed 955 Access Sound Systems
Combined with the GCS one to one device initiative, we now have the technology of a brand-new school!
- Having the technology is only part of the process in 2021-2022. It is critical that we teach students the skills and responsibilities needed to effectively utilize and maintain our “state of the art” technology. Our media specialist, Mrs. Klawitter, and our STEM teacher, Ms. Phillips, will both be part of the cultural arts team this year! They will work with all K-5 students weekly to provide media, digital media, and digital media skills instruction.
- I am also excited to share fantastic news concerning our traditional English program. Beginning with this year’s kindergarteners, we will incorporate Spanish language instruction into their everyday work! This is another opportunity to build a global language and leadership model housed under one roof!
Our open house will be Wednesday, August 18, 2021. Open house is a time to learn who your child’s teacher will be for the upcoming school year. You may visit the classroom to meet the teacher and see where your child will be while at school. This is not a time for a conference, please schedule appointments prior to the beginning of school if you would like so you can speak privately with your child’s teacher. All guests must wear masks and maintain social distancing of 3 feet. In response to guidelines from the district, smaller groups are required when facilitating Open House. Families will attend alphabetically by last name so that they can make one trip and meet all their children’s teachers, instead, of having to make several.
While many of the health protocols will remain in place, our students will be attending school in person starting August 23. Students may enter the building each day at 7:20. Students are considered tardy at 7:45. Instruction will begin promptly at 7:45. Daily breakfast will be provided in your child’s classroom. Students will be dismissed at 2:30. At this time, visitors are not allowed during the school day.
ONE CARD GCS will begin issuing OneCards, ID badges, to students within the first few days of school. All students will have photo ID badges and are expected to wear them daily. The OneCard adds an additional safety measure. Everyone on a Guilford County Schools campus will know in a glance who is official. The OneCard will help us track students on buses and at school. Providing a safe and secure environment will foster learning and assist in security for everyone on campus. In addition to fostering a safe learning environment and enhancing school safety and security, the OneCard creates a feeling of unity among students; boosts school identity and pride. Bus riders will swipe their cards to get on and off their buses. Students must swipe their cards to enter the building. Students will be given a lanyard to wear with their OneCard to use throughout the day. Students will use it in the cafeteria and media center. Lost OneCards will need to be replaced. The cards are $5.00 per replacement. Please help your child to keep up with his or her OneCard and be sure they bring it to school each day.
We see parents as partners in their children’s education, and we welcome you as an active participant in that process. Please feel free to contact me at 336-370-8230 and email@example.com with questions or suggestions.
This will be an exciting year for Jones, and I look forward to seeing all of you on August 18th!
August 12, 2021