GCS Reads 30
To help our students continue to grow their literacy skills and support changes in the classroom, GCS Reads 20 has become GCS Reads 30!
Students are encouraged to read 30 minutes each day at home, to supplement and strengthen the reading they’re doing in the classroom. They can read any materials that interest them, including our free district eBooks as long as they’re reading!
Keep recording minutes and submitting them to your designated teacher or media specialists. Schools that reach their monthly goal may receive recognition as the GCS Reads 30 School of the Month!
“Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.” Joseph Addison
All GCS students, all grade levels
- Parents can help by reading with children at home
- Community members can help by becoming volunteer readers or reading buddies and/or by donating books or funds for books
- Read 30 minutes per day
- Use any reading materials you'd like
- Record your minutes each week and report them to your school to be counted
- Every day for 30 minutes a day
- At home
- At lunch
- After school
- On the bus or in the car
- In waiting rooms
- Reading is a powerful way to build vocabulary and increase overall literacy
- Building a love of reading will support other academic areas and better prepare children for increased workloads in college
- Community members can support GCS students by participating in community reader days, becoming a reading buddy and/or donating books or funds to purchase books